1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Who gives their horses the winter off?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Mayelix, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Chester

Chester Senior Member

Our horses have 40 acres to run on. They keep pretty fit themselves with all the galloping, bucking, swimming they do. It isn't hard to get them started again.

equinitis and Arem like this.
  2. raisethebar

raisethebar Senior Member

This is the first year I've given the winter off. It was really weird to get used to, but I don't regret my decision. Kidd hasn't been ridden since our last Horse Show in October, and will likely get back into light work in March (weather pending). My new girl just came off the track at the end of summer and deserved some time to let down and relax.. I have been doing ground work with her more of a means of getting to know her, but regardless I do hope to get on her soon.

Our race horses get the winters off as well, and they come back just fine. Refreshed and ready for work :)

3. TallOak10

TallOak10 Full Member

In Ireland and the U.K., they raise their horses on stone trotting

4. TallOak10

TallOak10 Full Member

I ride more in the winter, spring, fall, and early summer. Thirty five degrees and higher. Sublime. Lower than that is bad for my extremities and I question the effect of breathing in deeply that frigid air on my horse's lungs. Give my polar fleece breeches, winter insulated riding boots, polar fleece helmet cover and thermal gloves. Gravy!!

Like at least one other person commented, I'm more apt to give a month or so off in Aug/September when the heat, bugs, and humidity are at its nastiest here.

Once I get a new used truck (goal for the spring), I hope to utilize local indoors available to me too.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Funny we Brits also have a saying, "it ain't hunting that hurts a horses hooves, but hammer, hammer, hammer on the hard high road"

Trot yes, but we would of been told off for fast trotting, and definitely no cantering, not for general riding.

6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Brandi gets some time off during winter. I'd prefer to ride more than I do during winter, but the weather just gets too bad. It's not so much the snow as it is the bitter, bitter cold. Even all bundled up, I can barely stand to be there long enough to feed cookies, check blanket, check under blanket, and go.

So I ride sporadically when the temps are decent and start easing back into riding around February/March. Usually we ride well into December but she had sore hocks, then the weather turned extra crappy.

Never hurts us. We start back and she's fresh, forward, and eager. We're quickly back into the swing of things.

7. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

The only disadvantage I can see to letting a horse have the winter off is perhaps being behind others in training if showing. Especially if your looking to show futurity which you might as forget it.

Mine are turned out and I believe horses are smart enough to retain training ;)
    On a smaller scale, working with a colt, if I feel he's really not progressing I'll turn him out for a few days and forget I even own him. It's amazing what giving a little time to let things soak does. They take a huge jump in progress.

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.