Who are my mane pullers?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by horsey_girl10, Jul 9, 2018.

1. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Chevy's mane is really thick as in the video. I don't want to pull/cut it - he looks great with his long hair!!

On show day I get it wet and french braid it on the top of his crest with a lot of product for hold.

Another method I have used for extra hold is to make the first braid, bring it up through to make the button and then that remaining tail is used at the 'starter' section in the next braid, and so on. All 'buttons' are then linked together making them more secure to hold all of his hair.

I understand tradition and being polished but as long as the horse arrives neatly turned out there should be no penalty for those that desire to keep their horse's mane in its natural state.

As an aside - it gave me the creeps to see that box fan in the video!! DO NOT USE BOX FANS!!! Spend the few extra $$ and get closed motor fans that are designed for the uses in a barn.

2. horsey_girl10

horsey_girl10 Full Member

I totally agree with you!

I thought about taking the fan down for the video. I have the closed motor fans mounted on the wall and I do really like them. The only problem is that they make so much sound vibration that it is hard to hear when the farrier or vet are there and trying to explain something, so the box fan is up, but it is only plugged in when we are working in there and need to turn the louder fans off. Good eye though and you are totally right! I also have a filter behind it to catch debris.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

There are box fans made for outdoor use that are quiet.

horsey_girl10 likes this.
  4. horsey_girl10

horsey_girl10 Full Member

That's good to know, can you post the link? The closed motor fans I have aren't necessarily noisy, I just feel like the vibration distorts sound when you are close to them. Thanks!

5. manesntails

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

7. manesntails

No, read the description, scroll down to it. It is fused. If too much weather gets to it to cause a short, the fuse blows so it can't catch fire. No need for a closed motor unless the fan is totally outside with no cover from the elements at all.

8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I read it, I just didn't understand. I have 0 knowledge of anything mechanical lol Thanks.

manesntails likes this.
  9. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Perhaps this will help...... Something can be simply hard wired where the wire delivers the electricity that provides the power for the fan/light/whatever. When there is a fuse, the electricity goes through that fuse where flow is regulated and then proceeds to deliver the electricity that provides the power for the item. So....if there is a power surge or something overheats, the fuse will 'blow' because too much electricity is flowing through it, thus stopping the flow of electricity and preventing a fire. All homes have some sort of this protection. In the 'old days' home electrical boxes had fuses but we now have circuit breakers that provide the same protection.

manesntails likes this.
  10. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

These aren't made for outdoor use. They are made to withstand the occasional summer rain that comes through the window the fan is in (and if the rain is strong enough the fan is being removed and the window shut until the storm is over. Even with the fuse for added safety, the fuse would constantly blow because of the unavoidable accumulation of dust on the parts thus heating it up and blowing the fuse. A closed motor fan from TSC for $80 is a far better investment for a horse facility.