Whitening Shampoo?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Lindsayanne, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member

Are there any tips for whitening without commerial whitening shampoos?

I bought a bottle of the blue whitening shampoo for like $20 this summer, never opened it, and now can't find it. :mad: Ebony is filty and yellow and since it's in the upper 70's today I'd like to seize the opportunity to clean her up a little. Anything I can use without buying another bottle of that stuff? (I KNOW it's going to turn up eventually!)

Also, she's got a mark on her butt from the trailer. Not really oily, but it won't brush out either. Any ideas? :confused:

2. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

A good scrubbing with a curry comb and shampoo should take it off.

As for the whitening shampoo, the blueing stuff is what does it, and there really aren't any household products that I can think of that contain it. But, if you buy some now and the bottle turns up, I am sure that you will use it, now that you have a white horse!!

3. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

I saw a botle of "blueing" at the supermarket near the laundry stuff. I don't know whether or not it would be ok to use on a horse, but maybe a little mixed with regular shampoo?? (Just a guess, I have never tried it)

4. Jeblina

Jeblina Senior Member

I think there are some people on here who swear by using white vinegar to get out stains on white areas of the horse....I've never used it though...you might try searching for it...I know there are some threads on it somewhere.

I myself have a palomino mare, whose tail is...well it's yellow. I use diluted bleach mixed with laundry detergent....I make sure to keep it off the tail bone and condition like crazy after. I wouldn't use that mixture on the skin though...it could be too irritating...

5. Xiphias

Xiphias Senior Member+

I have used laundry Blueing stuff of horses before, you got to be careful that you don't burn their skin, personally I would get another of the whitener shampoo for horses, it always worked great for my palamino pony ! Cathy

6. TravelingGirl

TravelingGirl Senior Member+

Just run to wal-mart or the grocery store and get a cheap $5.00 bottle of doggie whitening shampoo for now. Wash once with regular shampoo then again with the whitening shampoo. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing off and it should do as good of a job as the $20.00 bottle.

7. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member

That's smart! The dog stuff is always cheaper. :) And I bet it's just as gentle.

8. charismatic

charismatic Senior Member

Yup. I think they also make shampoo for humans with white/grey hair- that may work also.

I think Dog shampoo is probably safest though.

9. stephanie

stephanie Senior Member

I have a mostly white appaloosa, so I know how it is to struggle to get your horse white. What works amazingly is liquid laundry detergent. If you use the kinds that are blue (one that I use is Tide, I don't know what kind, but it is in a yellow bottle and has a dark blue top.). If you use it instead of shampoo and then if you have a spot that won't get white (esp. markings) then rub it on and let it soak for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it. It also works wonders for white tails! I used it and at the show the next day I got soo many comments on how white zephyr was and everyone was asking how I did it. I hope that this helps!

~Stephanie

10. HorseFreak

HorseFreak Senior Member+

I use BrightLights. You might want to look online where you can find it. You only use it on white or light cream colors. My brother first used it on his show heifers, and then i now use it. REALLY WORKS!

I have also used PurplePower, DONT USE IT! It turned my horse purple.