Whippy saddles

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by tiakitty16, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tiakitty16

tiakitty16 Senior Member

Why are they such a pain to find? I have spent the past three years looking at all the places I know both online (which is a lot of websites) and in tack stores and have sadly only managed to come across three besides the one I have now in the past three years. I love the way Whippy's are made and honestly I wish there was a way to learn more about them and why they are so difficult to find.

2. crayon

crayon Senior Member+

Have you tried ebay? I've seen a few occaisionally on there. :)

3. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Someone had one on sale here recently (unless that was you? I have no clue who it was).

4. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member+

They haven't been made since the early or mid '90s, I believe. I don't know what saddle manufacturer made them, or if they are merged or renamed or shut down or what. We talked about Whippy here before. It's an old brand name that goes back to pre-WWII, maybe even to WWI.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. tiakitty16

tiakitty16 Senior Member

Ya thats me. I have mine for sale as it's sadly too narrow for my Arab....I found another Whippy though that is wider and looks like itll fit him. Hoping I can take it on a trial and get pics up on here asap.

6. ArabianFanatic

ArabianFanatic Senior Member

They have them at my local auction every month usually (same guy brings them each time). What type are you looking for and what seat and tree size? These are the newer ones with padded flaps.

7. tiakitty16

tiakitty16 Senior Member

Looking for something with a fairly wide spine channel and a medium wide tree possibly. And an 18" seat. I like the close contact saddles, hmmm I wonder if he'd be interested in mine.

8. ArabianFanatic

ArabianFanatic Senior Member

I will keep that in mind when I go. Not a lot of people know the brand and I want to say they usually go for about $300. I mostly see dressage saddles though and can't recall a Whippy CC, but I never know what I will see :)

9. Fox Glove

Fox Glove Senior Member+

I have an old Whippy CC. It is my go to saddle for new riders.

Quite like to a Crosby PDN, no frills model.

[​IMG]

This one was at Rick's, so there are a few on the market. Check Bucks County too!

http://www.saddlesource.com/ http://www.bcsaddlery.com/

I do business with both of these shops, and can recomend them both highly!

I have had mine for years, one of my students has it on loan now, and we are doing lots of no irons work in it.

They wear like iron :)

10. Thorses1

Thorses1 Registered

Whippy saddle

I am in the process of purchasing 2 as we speak. The whippy saddle was made in London and was ended when the sadderly company was bombed during the time London was being bombed in world war 2. So an whippy saddle you see today is in excess of 70 years old. They had one of the best trees ever made second only to Barnsby. In my personal opinion. That is why you see these saddles that are in great shape 70 years later. Their close contact saddles were fantastic for Polo. Easy to move around in and you could still really feel your horse underneath you.