Whippy saddles Good/Bad? Need advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by tiakitty16, Mar 9, 2009.

1. tiakitty16

tiakitty16 Senior Member

2. FutureVetGirl

FutureVetGirl Senior Member+

It looks like a decent enough saddle... though... at the same time... something just "turns me off"... but it could just be asthetics and looks.

3. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member+

The whippy's are old school but good quality. You may be out of "fashion" but the saddle is probably just fine.

4. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

like KB said, they're "old school" but very well loved and regarded and they have a bit of a fan club, like crosby pdns. :)

all of the inexpensive whippys I've seen had cracked and/or misshappen panels. The seller isn't giving you any details, and the price is rather good, especially as they're taking offers with FREE shipping which is at least $25...

I'd ask for a few more photos, is the tree sound, a photo of the panels, are the billets tight and how badly stretched, is there any cracking of the leather anywhere, etc.

If you think its worthwhile, and would suit your needs, I'd go for $165 and see if they bite. For a nice whippy in great condition, *imho* :) thats a more than fair price with free shipping. Thats my personal favorite style of cc, plain & flat, but thats me :)

5. tiakitty16

tiakitty16 Senior Member

Ok, so here is a picture of me in my current saddle(it puts me in a chair seat due to the forward flaps)
    [​IMG]

Will the Whippy put my leg in a better position since the flap is more like a CC flap?

6. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member+

Impossible to tell. Your too-long stirrup and the AP saddle are doing more to cause a chair seat than the saddle flap. You'd have to try some CC saddles and see.

7. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member+

I actually saw that same saddle and thought about getting it when I don't feel like riding in my dressage saddle. It says "med" in the headline though...and I believe she said the gullet was somewhere around 7" from button to button...which seemed a little wide for me to believe it was a medium. It would be wayyy too wide for my mare--but, it was that exact saddle I inquired about. ;)

8. tiakitty16

tiakitty16 Senior Member

I've ridden in a few CC saddles as well as a Senior Event and all of them put me in nice positions. The only thing I don't like about some CC's is they have flat seats and I like the deeper seats.

9. Janeg313

Janeg313 Full Member

I've never actually ridden in a Whippy, but my trainer's had them before and his saddle is a Whippy, and he swears by them

10. tiakitty16

tiakitty16 Senior Member

I offered $165 and I got it!!! I even asked if she'd take a return if the saddle didn't fit, and she said she would. Yay!!!:D