Where to go with hobby

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IslandPony89, Jul 28, 2018.

1. IslandPony89

IslandPony89 Senior Member

@lucky_pine

I wish mine would stop dyingevery few days theres new brown on its leaves. Its in a bright area no direct sun. I water it like u say, i just dunno. 20180914_141413.jpg

I grew some babies from it and had them outside and they seem to be happy, ive started to bring them in 20180914_141754.jpg
    20180914_141455.jpg

I think everyone has that one plant that they just cant keep. My mom has majesty palm just like mine, her died right back to the base and is apparently slowly recovering. Where ive had mine sitting outside all summer with water every few days and mine has grown huge.

We have these two plants that are like mini trees and her has grown where mine started to die and drop leaves every where. Its started to come back but looks sad in comparison to my moms

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I think spider plants are prone to decline after they produce a lot of babies. Until then, they do fine.

Your prayer plant needs lower light.

That tarantular legged one is DA BOMB~!! Love that thing. I used to have a String of Pearls plant. Loved that too. It got strings of pearls 6'long on it~!! Very cool plant.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yes, when the spider plants are young they look good, after they've put out a lot of little ones they start having a lot of dying foliage. That's all I've noticed. I imagine if you removed all the little ones as they start you can prolong it. The peace lily is one that's good to remove the flowers on IMO. They tend to be very messy and take a lot out of the plant. They're primarily grown for their pretty foliage, so that's what I always did, kind of the same with spider plants as that's their way of propagation, with the suckers rather than flowers.

manesntails likes this.
  4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Hmm. Mine is from 2006. Like I said, as soon as it starts producing babies I clip them off. The plant won't put most of it's nutrients and energy into anything but itself then, maybe that's the difference. Like on a Majesty Palm. If a stalk starts dying, clip it down towards the root base. The rest of your plant won't be compromised then. My grandma taught me this and she won awards for her plants so there has to be some weight to the idea.

5. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I just have spider plants growing under the pergola. We water them sometimes. They go crazy. :eek:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.