Where to buy show clothes that actually fit!?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by CautionWetPaint, Apr 19, 2018.

1. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

I have been having problems finding show clothes that actually fit nice. I am normally a size medium/large depending on the style of shirt. I had a set of twins last year, and have definitely not lost all the baby weight around my middle. But all my old show clothes (some small, some medium, and some large) still fit. The problem I am running into is the new shirts/vests I have bought. One brand in particular really fit horrible! Like my sister in law (size 0 jeans and xs shirts) tried on the Medium vest and shirt bought and she could hardly zip it! So I bought an XL for both and the only difference in the shirt was the sleeves were puffier, but the middle of the shirt was still tight. I could at least zip it and move in it so decided it will work.

So I guess my question is where do all of you buy your clothes? I am not big by any means but do have a little "fluff" around the middle still. Any specific brands you all like? I'm staying away from "Royal Highness" brand as that's what fit horrible. I can't spend a ton on new clothes so a custom is out. All my English clothes fit, it's just the western and showmanship stuff that is not my friend!

2. spec

spec Full Member

All Hobby Horse clothes are stretchy and I love them! Some people say they're too overpriced for the quality but I've never had a problem. They have a really nice selection for people not wanting to spend over 100. Worth a look!

CautionWetPaint likes this.
  3. Rye9

Rye9 Full Member

The Royal Highness brand definitely does run small. Facebook groups are awesome for finding used show clothes. I've gotten some really great buys there. Most people post pretty specific measurements so you can get a good idea if something will fit.

CautionWetPaint and mooselady like this.
  4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Pretty much everything I've ever bought has to be tailored. I just plan on having stuff altered. I have a couple very good seamstresses.

My daughter is tiny. We usually have to take the shoulders, torso, and sleeve length in.

So I'm thinking about seam allowances and where the bling is placed and how the design will look when altered.

CautionWetPaint likes this.
  5. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

Thank you all! I've been eyeing hobby horse and use to have a shirt from them many years ago that I loved. And the Facebook ones are worth a look! I'm a little nervous going by measurements though as I've done that in the past and they didn't fit right.

6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

The only way to get stuff to fit right is to go custom. I never buy off the rack, except two solid color zip front shirts I got at Schneiders to wear under vests. Surprisingly, you don't have to spend and arm and a leg for custom if you are looking for something simple.