Where My Aldi Lovers At?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mcdreamer, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

We do ALL our shopping at Aldi. I love it! But, unfortunately, our's don't have alcohol. Because you know... Pennsylvania o_O

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

We got it, between the two of us... :ROFLMAO:
    This is how I remember them 20 years ago. Went again a couple years ago and was very impressed with the quality of the food.
    Beef, chicken, eggs from my animals, milk from my family's farm, veggies from my garden.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Ritter means knight, rider is Reiter. Very similar.

i grew up with Aldi. Their "no name" products are actually produced by the brands you know.
    it's abit weird for me that Aldi and Lidl are suddenly so big internationally...

4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I dont cook every day. My husband works night shift 4 days a week, so I either make dinner for myself, eat at my mom's or just make a sandwich. So I get by with only buying groceries once per month. Even before he worked nights though I did it pretty similarly.

I also stock up on meat and put it in the freezer so I have a supply that lasts for quite a while.

I dunno. It's just always worked for me! But when I do have to go buy groceries I REALLY need to go. As in there's like nothing left except for some canned veggies and condiments lol.

5. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I get away with shopping once or twice a month because I do a lot of meal planning and prep. I buy things on sale that I can freeze and during the summer I buy a crap ton of local produce to prep and freeze. Right now I have two bags of spaghetti squash, two bags of tomato sauce, 2 bags of sweet corn, bread, and three different summer soups I made in large quantities. I buy meat on sale in big quantities. to freeze as well. I try really hard to only get things that are on my list and keep my budget pretty tight but I do think taking the time to prep local or home grown produce helps a lot.

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I honestly don't know about the food...it was the store that totally turned us off. We cruised through and left relatively quickly. Perhaps the new one will be more palatable...they took over the end of a building that was a Gander Mountain that closed like a week and a half after their grand opening when the chain shut down. New construction should at least be more clean. LOL

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I had the same experience in a way around 20 years ago, although it wasn't dirty. Not the same now. It was way back before they took credit/debit cards and I didn't know that. Huge difference today.
    They're always cleaning the store I go to, it's pretty nice actually. Give it another try and try the store brands you're not used to, they should surprise you.

manesntails likes this.
  8. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

There are 2 in Austin,40 miles away. Out of reach for me. Actually,there is only 1 grocery here,and 1 Wal~Mart. We keep hoping for more,as the town is growing madly,but HEB (store chain) has bought up most of the available land

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Ranger’s Roheryn

Ranger’s Roheryn Full Member

Haha—us, too!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
  10. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Food prices are great. And I've actually bought a lot of non-food items there over the past year: Small springform and Bundt pans to use in pressure cooker, cast iron cookware, countertop oven, garden hoses, folding handcart, vacuum food saver and bags, catnip for the cats, etc. Both Sears and Macy's closed here, now KMart is gone, and there are fewer places to buy things without driving 20-30 miles. That made me start watching the Aldi weekly non-food offerings closely.

Alsosusieq2 and NBChoice like this.