Where are all the 'PMU' foals coming from?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jun 28, 2018.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

There are only 26 farms in Canada now according to NAERIC. None in the US, and it has been that way for a while now, decade at least.

There are also several similar drugs to Premarin out there, and there is evidence that China has PMU farms, although Pfizer says they are not owned nor controlled by them. NAERIC also states that Pfizer is not operating in China. Did find this article on PMU farms in China. PMU Horses—Killing Fields of Asia

But just this summer, very young foals, left by themselves at auction near me, were needing rescue and the accompanying text said they had come from farmer here in MO and were PMU foals. Some said there were 200, I know one person was trying to find homes for 60 that were still left.

The story was garbled at best, so I did some digging and found a rescue in MO that talks about the PMU foals and mares they rescue, brought in 1.3 million in donations for 2016. https://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2016/205/168/2016-205168546-0ed110d5-9.pdf

And this seems to be a growing trend too to raise money, and doesn't seem to have any basis in fact. Woman that lives near the rescue said she thinks it is fishy, as doesn't add up at all.

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

My farrier thinks that kill buyers get pregnant mares cheap at auction, feedlot them until the foal drops , then sells the foals and ships the mare.
    I don't know if there is any truth to it, but she doesn't think all the foals at foal rescues are from nurse mares OR pmu.

3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I thought they were making synthetic hormones now and didn't need the PMU like they used to.

Arem, ginster, meljean and 1 other person like this.
  4. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I feel like "rescues" just like throwing around that term to get constant funding and buyers. If you claim the foal was a rescued from an evil PMU farm, it sounds better than you bought the foals cheap from a backyard breeder.

That said I know a guy who used to run a PMU farm. His horses were beautiful and carefully bred. He had roughly 100 mares at a time and they were all easily sold. Not.marketed as a PMU foal.

5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Farmers, including PMU farmers are business people, and they now see the foal crop as an income stream, not as a surplus to be got rid of. A decent stud is a worthwhile investment, and some nice foals have come off the line.

Gibbs was part of the older PMU view....but still a great member of society.

JStorry likes this.
  6. meljean

meljean Senior Member

I talked with the people at NAERIC, and they said that majority of the mares on Canada ranches are registered QHs, and the stallions are registered as well, the small percentage of mares that aren't, are bred for warmblood foals. And that the foals are sold but have to remain on the farms in Canada until September, and that any foal has to cross international borders to get into US and that any farm selling foals before September, would lose their accreditation. Their foals are sought after in other words. They were very interested in where these supposed PMU foals came from if they were in fact PMU foals at all.

I know I did drive around Amish farms in the area and I saw a good amount of young foals too, aside from the ones standing with their dams in fields. A lot.

I've long said that there are places raising foals to be presented as 'poor orphan nursemare foals' for the money that they bring in for the rescue, so wonder if these are part of them too? And the fact that a 'rescue' can take in 1.3 million in one year..just boggles my mind.

Several of the rescues now claim the foals are 'Appalachian Warmbloods' which makes me feel like some are coming from the feral horse herds in KY and WV and other states with defunct coal mines.

And what is the "Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries" for that matter, I also see some of these saying they are with Animal Fund...or something like that, like a spider web.

CoffeeBean and JStorry like this.
  7. Dakota328

Dakota328 Senior Member

Lazy Lou is a PMU farm that sells their foals at my local auction horse. People love the LL horses. Well bred and well sought after. These rescues that prey on the whole poor bred and abused baby sales pitch drive me nuts. A lot of people here don't even know that the LL horses that everybody loves are PMU horses :rolleyez:. It's all the loud PMU corporation are evil, I've had my head bitten off several times trying to inform them about the PMU farms and that LL is one of them.

CoffeeBean, JStorry and meljean like this.
  8. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Because people don't like the idea that the rescues are lying about the foals or that PMU owners actually breed for qualitity

CoffeeBean and JStorry like this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Well, that article certainly demonized them. I don't doubt the foals are sought after. I cannot imagine a business that would NOT have a huge vested interest in the mares and foals. This reminds me of the great using horses that came from the European TB surrogate mare trade we were talking about months ago. Not papered I don't think, but they looked wonderful what I saw.

Unfortunately, there's bad eggs but that doesn't seem to make up the whole.

10. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

I don't understand why every orphan foal has to be a "pmu baby" other than the emotional extortion. It's sad enough that these foals are orphaned but then throwing an industry that breeds quality and takes care of their stock under the bus. It's ridiculous. Last time I called out someone for buying "pmu" babies from MO and correcting some misinformation, I got called a negative Nancy and deleted.

Can't fix stupid.

Alsosusieq2, mooselady and DelP like this.