When to halter train a foal

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Mocha lover, May 16, 2011.

1. Mocha lover

Mocha lover Senior Member

What age should you put on the halter and train them? Sooner the better? Can you do it right away? I've never raised a foal before this will be my first time.

Tips?

2. Clink

Clink Senior Member

I had a figure 8 leather halter on my foal every single day since she was born. Put it on daily when I get there and then take it off when I leave. I am now working on walking her on lead with it, but I never pull her, their necks can be injured very easily, so it's slow work at this time. She is now 7 weeks old. She has had 4 days since being born that her halter wasn't put on her.

It's a leather figure 8 halter I think I ordered online, they are much better with pressure points and release of pressure. Look them up

3. Mocha lover

Mocha lover Senior Member

Oh interesting I'll have to get one :)

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Yep, put it on asap. Of course, this doesn't mean you have to rush in there to get it on within 30 minutes of being born ;) The first day is great. 2 days still fine. But the sooner you do it, the easier the foal takes to it and just comes to see it as part of life.

1 person likes this.
  5. spacely

spacely Senior Member+

Ditto above. Also, make sure you do NOT pull on their necks when teaching them to lead. The butt rope is your friend. If you do not know how to do this, find someone experienced in handling foals to teach you. NEVER, EVER use a nylon halter either.

6. Jumper2295

Jumper2295 Senior Member

I don't mean to steal the thread, but why shouldn't you use a nylon halter on foals? (I have no foal experience and I do not plan on breeding Cassie btw ;) )

7. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member+

Because a foal's neck will break before a nylon halter will.

8. Horsefeathered

Horsefeathered Full Member

A nylon halter has no chance of breaking, and is nigh impossible to cut loose if it gets caught up on something, and twisted around.

9. Jumper2295

Jumper2295 Senior Member

Oh, wow. Thanks for answering.
    Thanks to Horsefeathered too.

10. spacely

spacely Senior Member+

I know of way too many foals that have died being hung up in nylon halters. Really no need for those deaths. I hate nylon halters & wish they were never invented. Leather on everything from foals to seniors.