When and how was the last time you got dumped?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Nov 20, 2016.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

By your horsey or pony...... :D

I haven't gotten dumped in years, so I suppose I was due.

I took my gelding Samson out for a trail ride with his girlfriend, who is a big Belgian x, and her new barn mate who is an OTTB. Samson started out really slow, to the point that I thought he maybe wasn't feeling well (hehe I guess I was wrong :cautious:). Then we went off in a trot on a nice clear trail, and little Samson couldn't move his stout legs any faster, and his friends were already out of sight. So, he put all the extension he had into his trot, and finally rounded the bend and caught up when his friends stopped to wait for him.

Then we made it to the huge field that is in this state park. Once before, Samson *almost* dumped me in this field, but it was because there were a bunch of school busses in a parking lot to the right of it (there's normally no cars in that lot, but there must've been a field trip to the park), and he was just excited I think. I stayed on but was very close to coming off, to the point that my triceps were dead the next day, because I pushed against his neck that hard without realizing I did it. The little bugger's go to move is not to buck, or rear, or bolt... it's to hop up and spin as fast as he can :cautious: We've been to the field since with no issues.

Soooo, yesterday we got to the field, and at this point, Sam was less sleepy, but certainly not overly excited. we get to the middle of the field and agree to trot, and Sam got left behind immediately, then proceeded to hop, spin, and off I went. I know it's not great practice, but I didn't let go of my reins (I never do), and Mr. Bugeyed just stopped and stared at me. I was so embarrassed, I hopped up and got back on (thank goodness he's a shorty), looked up, and our friends were still trotting and hadn't seen any of this go down (so I never told them :whistle: oops).

The rest of the time he behaved, but got himself so worked up, I'm pretty sure thinking he'd get left in the dust again. He did a huge extended canter in another field (I told my friends he was very naughty when we were left behind in the first field, and might have to stop for a teaching lesson in the next field). He was very well behaved, but I purposely held him back, before letting him out, and he went into this enormous canter, bigger than I've ever felt on him, I think partially to stay with them, partially to show off. So, he was well behaved for the rest of the ride, but overly anxious, and was dripping with sweat by then end (not a physically difficult ride).

I went through 3 coolers and he still wasn't dry (I had to sponge him off when we got home), before I remembered Manes' trick of stuffing hay under their blanket! So he had hay, Irish knit, and another cooler on top, and that did it. After all that though, he got a bib clip last night. And a mohawk.

So, I'm very sore in my shoulders from trying to hang on I guess (to the point of getting some median nerve compression from under my pecs) and somehow landed on my medial knee which is swollen and bruised (but I tested my ligaments and meniscus and all is well... lol go PT school). But I'm fine. And Samson is fine. But he got clipped as punishment (but he actually falls asleep while I clip him).... and a warm blanket and fresh shavings.

The best part of the story? I've had Old Man Sam for 13 years, have gotten dumped by him now three times, and he'll be 29 in April. I got dumped by an old man! :rofl:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I've had my old gelding for 8 or 9 years, and he's never dumped me, although he did have a rearing problem when I first got him.

Little gelding has under 10 rides on him, so nothing from him yet either. However, I don't have a saddle that fits him anymore, so I'm planning to ride bareback all winter and I'm sure my time is coming!

The last time I was bucked off was either when my former Arab had too much buck in her canter, I pretty much jumped off and landed on my feet.

Or, it was my friend's Paint gelding who was misbehaving. He ended up being diagnosed with EPM.

Those two instances happened about the same time frame, three years ago.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Not dumped. I'd say I haven't gotten actually thrown since I was in my teens. But, the last time I fell off it was my QH. We were on fence patrol. I had a herd of deer, every night, like clockwork, jump the fence that ran along the top of the ridge to go graze in the West pasture. Millie would snort when the herd started coming. Around 8pm you could spotlight them. So, when the Bucks are in rut, they tear up my fence by rubbing their antlers on the posts. I ride Gage or Millie around a couple times a week to go fix fence.

It had rained really hard the night before and there's a slope that runs down to that fence. I spotted a piece of fence that was tore up and I'm not paying attention to Gage. My reins are laying on Gagey's neck and I'm twisted around trying to free my pliers, that I put in a too small jacket pocket. Gagey just very lightly hopped over a little crack in the ground made from the water running down that slope.

When his hip came up, I went off balance and just kinda rolled off his butt and onto the ground. :rofl:

I was laughing so hard I couldn't get up right away. He stops, turns, looks at me, comes walking over, rests a leg, and stands there gazing off into the distance. It was like he's thinking: "Odd time to want to lay down and take a nap, but, no problem, I'll just wait here for ya and watch for predators."
    :ROFLMAO:

Didn't really hurt myself. Not even a visible bruise.

Red from Tx, bsaz, ginster and 2 others like this.
  4. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

i got dumped last year by my mare. she had a fit over one particular jump (going from left lead to right on a diagonal over a fence) she did it once, decided she didnt like it, and the next time we went for it, she pulled a duck and run at the last second. she was leaning pretty heavy on the left going in, so i was completely unprepared when she hopped right. got back on,and made her jump it twice before i moved on to something else.

before that, i was on a horse i had in for training. i had just found out i was pregnant, and he was my last client to sell before i stopped training until after i had my daughter. i had put 60 days on him, then the BO daughter started "exercising" him for a month. the buyer came, the owner wanted me up to how him off. i went to get on, and the girl had let him go back to being a pain in the butt to mount. i got in the saddle, he went off bucking, i said screw that, emergency dismounted and landed on my feet. i hadnt even realized i had done it until the owner mentioned my mommy reflexes already kicking in lol

5. MissApril

MissApril Senior Member

Glad you are ok! The last time I fell it was with my old mare April. We were riding in my neighborhood and the trash man pulled up next to us to flirt with my friend. As he did the air break thing she turned into a bucking bronco. I was so happy when I finally hit the ground, trying to stay on was not going to happen. She didn't stop until I was off and then she took off down the road. I sold her to my trainer and bought Mojo. :) I was too old and not experienced enough for that! April is now known as Chica and is owned by a teenager.

6. DocsLglyBlonde

I think the last time I was dumped was 5 or 6 years ago, and that was from my other horse. Samson dumped me twice shortly after I got him... maybe 10 years ago. UNBELIEVABLE :rolleyes:

I feel like I have to knock on wood for all of you! I didn't realize it, but this thread is going to jinx everyone who hasn't gotten thrown off in a while :unsure: Haha I'll keep knocking!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Tina'sXena likes this.
  7. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

I know I'm in for a few spills soon. February is ride time for my coming 3yr old. He's a very reactive little guy, and I'm anticipating a few nice bucking sessions before he calms down. Lucky for me, he's only 14.2 :)

8. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

Last time I had an equine-assisted unscheduled dismount was earlier this year. My two neighbor/friends and I trailered out to a place we ride often. My tack room in my trailer was FULL of stuff... like, seriously needing a cleanout. I don't recall WHY there was SO MUCH STUFF at that time (I cleaned it out shortly after). My saddle was buried, and rather than deal with trying to get to it, I grabbed my bareback pad (which provides extra fluff for my butt and grippier than horse hide). Turns out we ended up riding for 10 miles, which figures, the one time I don't use a saddle, is one of our longer journeys ;)

But, my steed is a wonderful girl (and gaited, so that helps haha). We had walked, gaited/trotted, and cantered already. All was well. We were nearing our half way/turn around point. Walking so calmly, no problems. So, I was 100% relaxed. So when my horse suddenly teleported a few feet to the right, I did not.

And that's how my horse and I parted ways. I think I would've remained in the saddle, had I used one, as my foot in the stirrup may have helped me teleport with my mare. Or, had I been a little less relaxed, I could've held my seat ;)

I did get hurt (she stepped on me, that's what I get for keeping a hold of the reins, which caused her to turn) but, luckily, just physical wounds, and nothing major. Which is a blessing, as a few years back I had another parting of the saddle ways, on an unbroke horse, that completely SHATTERED my confidence, and I've been working hard these past several years to build it back up. This mare, and a few other wonderful mares, have been instrumental in this process.

Was pretty funny trying to figure out how to remount without stirrups! My friend had to dismount to give me a leg up ;)

ginster and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  9. DocsLglyBlonde

I was so grateful for Samson being short! lol I have short little legs and always use a mounting block, but with my adrenaline (lol) was able to hoist myself up there before anyone noticed :rofl:

Here's to hoping all goes smoothly with your youngster, and there's no falling involved!

10. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Several years ago, cantering circles over poles, I slipped off and couldn't land on my feet...nailed my right hip instead. No fun. Still.