1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

What's your opinion on ADM/ MoorMan's GroStrong 13% Ultra-Fiber with low starch?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by equestsarah81, Nov 8, 2010.

1. equestsarah81

equestsarah81 Senior Member+

Just as the title states, give me your opinion on that pellet feed! I just want to hear opinions on it... I have had my previous horse on it with good results and my current mare is on it and doing very well on it too.

In case you aren't familiar with it and what's in it, here's a link you can look at info on it:
    http://www.admani.com/AllianceEquine/GroStrongUltraFiber.htm

2. equestsarah81

Bump! Anyone???

3. TwoWebs

TwoWebs Senior Member

It's not overly bad, although I don't care for the corn in the main/top ingredient list. I also don't see a definitive or complete list of guaranteed analysis of the feed.

4. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

I'd like to see an ingredient list on it. I'd also like to see more detailed feeding instructions.

Twowebs, I don't believe it has any corn in it. In fact pretty positive it doesn't.

From what I've been able to find, the page you linked to is pretty much all the info they have available on their site. Which is substantially less than what they offer on the rest of their feeds.

5. equestsarah81

6. equestsarah81

Yes, there is corn in it... But not whole pieces of corn, just ground up inside the pellets.

7. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Really? That is quite suprising to me considering their marketing splurge about it on the site. That personally would make it a 'no go' for me. There is absolutely no reason to put corn in a feed (especially a 'low starch' one!) other than for a cheap filler. If it were a 'safe' cheap filler, that would be a bit different. It also has corn gluten in it. Either of those facts by themselves would put it on my 'do not feed' list. Together, doubly so. The vit/min package on it is nothing special either.

8. equestsarah81

Why would it be not so good to have corn in it? :confused: I wouldn't hink having a little bit of corn in feed would be a negaive... There is ground corn in the pellets but hey are barely noticable... Most pieces/ pellets you don't even see the corn in it and when you do see the corn, you have to look for it and it's very small and very few pieces.

9. Sosser

Sosser Full Member

I have my horse and my 2 barn mates horses on Forage First Ultra Fiber (Grostrong) and Powerglow rice bran - they are doing very well - everyone has commented on how great they look since we switched feeds. We are all v happy with it. Previously were on Tucker Mills feed - similar in composition but they seem to do v well on the Grostrong.

10. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Corn has a lot of negative health benefits. It's a potential source of mycotoxins, it's a fairly common allergen type feedstuff, it's high NSC (though the entire feed is supposedly low). And gluten has absolutely no business in equine feeds imo. Both have huge quality control issues.