Whats the best saddle pad for barrel racing?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by buddytink, Jan 2, 2009.

1. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

Im trying to decide on a new saddle pad but i cant decide which on to go with. My horse is really short backed and has big shoulders, so im wondering whats the best saddle pad. Is Impact gel better or Professional Choice? or is there something better than those. Right now i was using a classic equine pad, dont know what its called but its the solid black one with the leather trim?? And i realized today that that saddle pad was why he wasnt turning when i loped. The pad sits on his neck, shoulders, and hip and its really stiff so i guess it was restricting his movement some how. i rode him in just a cheap regular blanket and for the first time he actually loped and turned, and that was the only thing that was different on him, so i was a little excited!

2. Huntseat

Huntseat Senior Member+

I use the Professional's Choice Charmayne James Air-Ride round pad, I like it a lot. My mare is really small with a short back and it fits her and the saddle perfectly and it is contoured. It doesn't slip at all and it seems to do a good job protecting her back.

3. whoahorse

whoahorse Senior Member

I big thick ugly wool pad :D

4. *BaRrEL_BaBE*

*BaRrEL_BaBE* Senior Member+

I really like the Impact Gel Pads.

5. dream2jump

dream2jump Senior Member+

Same here. I have the same pad and I like it and my horse doesn't seem to mind it at. I have the square skirt one though to fit my saddle.

6. abagayle

abagayle Senior Member

Caveman speak! Made me laugh extremely hard, thanks. :)
    The Charmayne pad has been a huge hit with my barrel friends and I, I really like it.

7. SouthernTrailsG

SouthernTrailsG Senior Member+

Tacky Tack make a great breathable neoprene shaped pad that fits the popular round back Barrel Saddles.

8. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

Has anyone ever heard or used the Saddle Right saddle pads?? I saw them on the internet and they sound pretty good, but is it too good to be true.

9. SouthernTrailsG

SouthernTrailsG Senior Member+

Saddle Right Pads, another fine choice, they have been around for a long time, I think their designs come from a Chiropractor.

10. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

The best one for you would be a thin, rounded pad that fits the shape of your saddle. I'd go with just a simple fleece pad like:
    http://www.horseloverz.com/Tough-1-Fleece-Barrel-Pad-pr-291992.html

Or any of these:
    http://www.smithbrothers.com/sharon-camarillo-competitor-pad/p/X3-19625/cn/30/
    http://www.horse.com/Pro-Craft-The-Unbounded-Round-Saddle-Pads-WIP01.html
    http://www.rockinmtack.com/Tod-Slone-Round-Barrel-Saddle-Pad-p/p050-r.htm - 1/2" or 3/4" thickness

Or, for the thinnest AND most shock absorbing combination, use whatever blanket you like best (single or doubled woven wool blanket) with a ThinLine Western Half Pad over it. The ThinLine pad is VERY shock absorbing, keeps your saddle in place, and is only 1/4" thick. It conforms to your horse as it warms up and it WILL improve performance! I LOVE my ThinLine pads :D.