1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Whats in your tack room?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by WhitneyM, Jan 21, 2010.

1. WhitneyM

WhitneyM Senior Member+

So I was just wondering what kind of tools everyone has in their tack room and what bits everyone likes and other tools they can't live without lol.

I have the following bits in my collection:

http://www.rods.com/Chrome-Medium-Shank,608.html
    http://www.rods.com/Gunsmoke-Brown-1-x-2-Correction-Bit,513.html
    http://www.rods.com/Brushed-Stainless-Steel-Roller-Correction-Bit-by-Partrade,2716.html
    http://www.rods.com/Imported-Chrome-D-Ring-Snaffle-Bit-by-Partrade,2731.html

The third bit I usually show my reiner in. He seems to like the action of the bit the best. I tend to like corrections a little more then normal bits. The second bit was the bit I showed my other reiner in (he goes in just about anything but seemed to like this bit a bit more) it has a little too much tongue pressure for my current reiner. The top bit I use on my horse occassionally to school in, he seems to go well in that when he gets a little worried about his face. I sometimes use the fourth bit (the d-ring) to school him in and soften his face a bit, but he doesn't like it so much, my paint on the other hand loves it, but he tends to lean on it every once in a while (he still wants to set his head like a reiner instead of a hunter, what a good boy lol). O and I also have a hackamore for when I feel like playing around and seeing how well my reiner steers, he LOVES it lol.

My wishlist lol: A thick slow twist snaffle to add a little more then my d-ring to school my reiner in (and to tie him back and work on his face in the round pen). A d-ring with rollers to keep my paint occupied. I also want a germain martengale to hepl reward my current reiner when it comes to relaxing and putting his head down. I would also love a nice solid curb bit for my reiner to kind of play around with different bits to see which one he likes the best (I rode him in a few before and he seemed to like the correction a bit better which is why I have that one for him).

So whats in your tack room? What's your favorite bit?

2. Gottagallop

Gottagallop Senior Member+

that reminds me of "Whats in you wallet?" or "whats in your litterbox" lol ill post in a min just gotta find webs :D

3. ChevyRider

ChevyRider Senior Member

I have too many bits to think of, let alone list.... however as far as "tools"......... Prof choice SMBS(mainly elites, but still have some II's around, a 3s).. You will not see any of my horses outside of the barn/pasture without them.

4. BoesMom

BoesMom Senior Member

Bits:
    Thick hollow mouth loose ring snafle.2 of them
    Thick bean mouth (shaped) D-ring snaffle (love this bit)
    Long shank broken curb (hate this bit)
    Thin sweet iron with copper inlay O-ring snaffle
    Rubber D-ring (been used maybe twice)
    Medium port curb with 6" shanks

Reins:
    I have different types of reins for different things. All my reins have clips cause I always change them.
    7' contest rein-harness leather
    7' leather split reins-used for arena work/tieing back.
    8' leather single rein-used for trails. Love that you can't drop them :)
    Wanted:Long harness leather reining-type reins with water ties(thin ones)
    Weaver contest reins with the "suede"
    Weaver poly roper reins(they are the only thin poly ones I have seen)

Halters/Leads:
    I have my navy blue nylon halter weaver halter
    Then a diamond braid rope halter someone made,for riding in
    Navy blue weaver poly lead
    lunge line

Those are the things I use all the time (aside from bridle and saddle :p) It seems like alot considering I only have one horse :p

5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

same here... i have too many bits to list, as have the theory that one can NEVER have too many.
    i have about 15 various snaffles, and 30 various curb bits.

6. Gottagallop

Gottagallop Senior Member+

ok im really ticked i had about 500things on a list and pressed back space and no longer have desire to type that much sorry lol

7. WhitneyM

WhitneyM Senior Member+

Lol, I hate it when that happens, I will spend like 20 minutes and then I click something on accident and it is all gone.

I forgot about my boots/wraps:
    I have quilts, no now quilts, standing wraps, polo wraps, professional choice splint and bell boots. I also have skid boots. My horses are very protected, and yet they still manage to hurt themselves lol, of course they always choose the one place that I can't cover!

I agree you can't have too many bits, if only I could afford more. But there are a few I really want to try. And of course for two horses I guess I don't need a whole wall.

8. WhitneyM

WhitneyM Senior Member+

O, I forgot to mention with the broken curb bit, I got it because I rode so many horses that loved it, but my reiner doesn't like it so much. I school him in it sometimes and he will love it and then I will school him in it and he hates it. My reiner turned hunter will work in just about anything I put him in so he doesn't really care.

9. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

I, too, have more bits than I could list. Overall, I have too much tack!! Maybe one of these days I'll have to part with some. *sigh*

10. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

4 bits (a training Robert Metlab, reinsman argentina snaffle, loose ring snaffle and a french), a bareback with extra d's, and whole bunch of other stuff that I could list but don't have time. I make whatever I need.