1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

What's "in" for english pleasure, etc.?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by ibsammy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

It has been more than a decade since I've shown. What styles are in as far as tack colors? Also, any good websites to shop used english saddles? I'll be doing some open shows locally and don't want to look like I stepped out of the 90s :p

2. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

Expensive red/brown hunt saddles with flat leather knee rolls. Jumping type, very forward. Either leather fancy stitched girths or the Professional's Choice neoprene girth. Leathers that match the saddle and regular stirrups. Sheepskin fitted saddle pads.
    Raised fancy stitch hunt bridles in red/brown are still in. Braided reins in the hunter ring. Some riders use martingales but I personally don't like them.
    For riders, black or navy fitted hunt coats. White or light blue show coats with a collar and stock pin. Haven't seen a lot of stock ties lately. Tan breeches, most common brand right now is probably Tailored Sportsman. Any tight tan breeches will work though. Well fitted black tall boots with zippers, must be entirely black, no weird leather patterns or colors. Small silvers spurs and black spur straps. Black or navy helmet, a lot of people like the Samshields or the 1K.
    For english saddles, I like craigslist in my area, or I work with a fitter and try to find an identical saddle on ebay. I'm sure if you google saddle resale you can find something.

tlwidener and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere. Its about a 3 hr drive to a show that has english classes, let alone an english saddle fitter or tack store :(. Are tights a no-no? They're so much more comfortable than breeches. I've been in the endurance world lately so I am so painfully out of style!!!

4. savethewhaley

Tights would be a no. Especially if they are the stretchy legging type material. You could get away with a Riding Sport Schooling Tight from Dover most likely, but you might as well spend the extra $5 and get the breech.

5. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Also, gloves? Are spurs necessary, I've never used them with this mare. It probably wouldn't be a huge issue but still.

6. savethewhaley

Black gloves are an absolute. Fake or real leather, doesn't matter, but not cloth. If you are showing locally, you can probably get away without spurs.
    I train performance hunters for people who have way too much money, and for me, spurs are a necessity. People buy fake spurs here just so they can't get points taken off for it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you have the basics you are going to be fine.

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I have NEVER heard that spurs are required, or why on earth you would get points taken off if you don't use them.

8. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Are you talking about a sport horse or stock type?

9. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I took mine an hour away to Bucks County saddlery because of their used saddle selection website. And the onsite inventory (used) was astounding, Full range of style names and price, from 2 digits to 4. More padded reds under CC than AP. I understand they ship if you saw something you wanted to get or try.
    Close Contact, buckscountysaddlery.com

10. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

On the phone so will reply longer later, but she is a grade paint so well be showing stock type shows and pinto "breed" shows.