Whatcha think? Abscess?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by bellalou, May 17, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I stopped at the barn and rode on my way home from work last night. Bella was eager and energetic and stepped out beautifully, picking up her fast, rhythmic walk as we warmed up in the arena. Even so, I know her movement so well that I could tell that she was just a teeny, tiny, infinitesimal bit off.

I thought it might be the footing because the ranch just laid down dust control and raked it in so the footing was a little deeper than it usually is, but it wasn't bad by any means. Asked for a trot and I could still feel it, just a tiny little hint of a head bob and unevenness.

Got off, checked feet, no stones, shoes fine. Trotted in hand. She's short-striding just a teeny tiny bit on her right front. A little bit of heat just at the coronary band.

She's not lame. No one but me or a skilled lameness vet would probably notice it. But she's just a wee bit off. So I'm thinking maybe working on a high abscess? I can't think of anything else that would cause some heat in that location. Can you?

It's kind of past abscess weather here but if it's that high, it could mean she's been working on it quietly for a while as it traveled. I'm just at a loss to think of anything else that would present that way. So guesses?

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Charlie was lame for a MONTH from an abscess. He fell in the pasture, so it was sort of a 2 for 1. He injured his shoulder and had some heat and swelling from the fall. He was pretty lame for 3-4 days. I buted him for those days and used liniment on his shoulder. Then, about a week later he seemed fine. He got chiro & massage. Then, bam! Lame again. He was most lame on the concrete and hard barn isle. Not so lame in the soft sandy indoor. I was starting to get worried so I made him an appt with the vet. 2 days later... sound. I cancelled the vet appt. About 1.5 weeks later I found a hole in his toe. Abscess!

They are such a pain in the butt.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

They are. And Bella never seems to get the classic, east-to-identify abscesses. She gets the weird presentation abscesses because she's a diva queen who loves attention and wants everyone to feel sorry for her.

:p

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Most likely case is an abcess but that's not the only reason for heat at the coronary band. Soak the foot in hot water and epsom salrs and see if she wants to stay in that. If not, could be ringbone forming or something else higher in the pastern or ankle.

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Hmmm... Didn't think of ringbone. I don't think that's it but I'll keep it in the back of my head. The farrier was out yesterday to do the kids. I couldn't be there but I'd asked him to check that foot thoroughly. He didn't find anything but did notice the slight soreness. He's thinking abscess too but we're just guessing at this point.

I'm sure she just feels like she's due for a bandage and some coddling. :rolleyes:

6. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I have had an touch of off lameness if there's a chunk of bar/heel that gets missed and folded over or crushed.

I'd assume the farrier would have seen that, though. Care to share sole pics?

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Not really. :D

It's not an on/off lameness. It's a new, very slight bit of being "off." Not lame, but off. I noticed it the day before the farrier came (or 2 days - something like that). Nothing wrong with her trim and she's shod - no breaks or cracks or stone bruises. It was mostly the light heat in the coronary band that I was musing on - I was trying to think of what other than an abscess might cause that. Ringbone makes some sense as to that but I don't think that's going on. Can't think of other reasons really (no swelling, no injury, no sign of bashing the foot though that is possible).

I'm going to go over it very well tomorrow. May stop out tonight on my way home but it will be around 8 pm by then so I may not.

8. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Could be an abscess. My horse goes practically 3-legged lame when he has one brewing though. I had him have a super slight lameness once, vet told me (literally) I was imagining things until I made him watch me lunge my horse and he saw the barely grade 1 limp lol. Mine just had a teeny tiny scratch on that leg that was causing some discomfort, probably hit his leg on something. I thought he was popping a splint because that's there it was (inside splint bone on RF). Gave him a week off with a couple days stall rest and cleaning the scratch and he was fine after.

Are there any spongey spots on her sole? Could also be a stone bruise (which could later abscess, that's what always happened to my guy). Hope she feels better soon!

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Thanks. No stone bruises or spongy spots. The farrier went all over it with hoof testers yesterday and she was trimmed so he would have seen any sign of stone bruises. I'm going to soak go over it with a fine tooth comb today and soak. See what we can scare up.

VermilionStrife likes this.