1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

WHAT?! (USEF rule)

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by cutejillybean, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Equitate

Equitate Senior Member

"sufficiently severe to impair the required performance"

There's the key phrase. Required performance in big eq classes is jumping 3'6" fences, spreads that are wider than that, perfect changes, rollbacks, etc etc. You have to have a pretty sound horse for that. If your horse is in pain you'll get penalized.

But if your horse had a hitch/catch, or maybe he was a little stiff, you aren't going to penalized.

Hunter classes are the other extreme. You jog into the ring, you get a few steps in front of the judge, and if your horse jogged stiff your out. Maybe it's 0 degrees and there wasn't any room for you to walk your horse. Better hope he jogs sound.

2. deepsouth

deepsouth Senior Member+

There is no "kinda" lame. Soundness is like pregnancy. You are or you aren't. No in betwwen.

3. Aponi06

Aponi06 Senior Member

I agree!

(too short)

4. TheBombDotCom

TheBombDotCom Senior Member+

The horse Im referring to is a hunter, and his roaring is hardly unnoticable.. too bad too because he is awfully cute!

5. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

I find that totally disgusting.
    A horse takes a single lame step and that should be it out of the show IMO. I dont even tolerate unsoundness due to stiffness in a horse I am going to be competing on, before, during or even AFTER the competition. If it isnt 100% sound, or doesnt remain so throughout the competition and following days then it does NOT go out competing.

6. royalrox

royalrox Senior Member+

oh yea. I used to compete against this girl whom would continually show an obviously lame horse. She did hunters, but would skip the hack, and go into the ring at a canter so the judges were non the wiser..but everyone else was.

7. Pinto2theEnd

Pinto2theEnd Registered

I should of clarified this. This pony needs shoes for proper support and protection of his hoof. He would frequently get stone bruises and pick up the smallest stones just with the way his hoof is shaped, also how his hoof grew he would crack badly in the summer when its most dry. Then I geuss the best way to describe it is he would move heavier on his left front leg when he became tired which put a strain on his left front leg (he was clubbed don the right front) and would get sore. Either of these where the usual causes of his lameness and could probably be prevented with shoeing and proper conditioning.

I was not saying that simply because he had a clubbed hoof made him go lame it was how the clubbed foot effected his movement sometimes and how easily it would bruise that he would go lame.

8. vxf111

vxf111 Full Member

Maybe they're planning to have the tieback surgery? Eventually?

I wouldn't myself buy a roarer, but I have known people to have them. Some of them had successful surgeries, others not.

9. pippy

pippy Senior Member

Turbo's one of them.... he hasn't had the surgery yet, but if he hasn't sold by the end of the season, i'll be operating and taking him to intermediate HT next season, he is currently pre-lim eventer with ease - the roaring although a grade 5 has no effect on him as he is conditioned well... so its frustrating that hunters can't compete with it... I take him hunting(proper hunting) and he has been a whips horse..... so I just don't get the issue.:wink:

10. vxf111

vxf111 Full Member

I guess because, from the limited time the judge sees you in the ring, the judge can't tell if the horse is roaring but physically unaffected (like your horse) or is roaring and truly has broken wind. So any horse that roars could be spun. Or not spun. Totally up to the judge.