WHAT?! (USEF rule)

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by cutejillybean, Dec 18, 2010.

1. cutejillybean

cutejillybean Full Member

So, I was reading through the USEF equitation rulebook, and I saw this:

EQ104 Judging.
    1. SOUNDNESS. Unsoundness does not penalize a competitor unless it is sufficiently severe to impair the required performance. In such cases, the imposition of a penalty is at the judge’s discretion.
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2011/12-EQ.pdf

WHAT?! I KNOW it's not a hunter class, but you shouldn't be showing a lame horse! It's cruelty to make the horse work if they are in pain; the only way they can say NO is by acting out, but some horses won't. :no:

So, lemme get this straight: it doesn't matter if your horse is lame as long as it can still jump and canter without knocking anything down. :flaming: Hey, as long as the rider looks good, who cares about the horse! :no: And I know most people won't show a horse that's lame, but what about the small percentage that will?

</rant>

Floating_Lilly likes this.

2. Alouette

Alouette Senior Member

Well you definitely shouldn't be showing a lame horse... but I used to own an old gelding who had kind of a hitch to his trot, he wasn't lame or in pain, but he was very stiff as he got older. So maybe something like that is what they're talking about? Not legit lameness. (Just a guess).

3. Feliche

Feliche Senior Member+

Wowww...that's insane. Dressage can be over-the-top about the care of the horse; I've been to events where the horse puts a foot crooked and you're OUT.

4. Pinto2theEnd

Pinto2theEnd Registered

Sadly I have been to shows where a rule like this was in effect and showed against a girl for daily and year end high point, after hunter hack the pony would get lame and got worse as the day went along. They didn't treat it as usually it wasn't to bad for the last English class and it just made the pony go slower for western classes :mad:

The cause was simple, the pony was over worked quite often for the conditioning level he was at and had a clubbed foot they the didn't keep shod.

5. lilrider

lilrider Senior Member+

Since when does a club foot mean the horse needs shoes? My arab gelding has a club foot and it has never been an issue with proper trimming. I am against shoes unless necessary.

6. pippy

pippy Senior Member+

Whats that got to do with it - a club foot does not make a horse unsound.

Unsound - the definition by FEI is a horse is of uneven tempo, or regularity due to a impairment (by conformation or damage) or pain.... not exactly those words but thats what they mean.

7. lilrider

lilrider Senior Member+

Read the bold.

8. MonteStrides

MonteStrides Senior Member

I am guessing that this rule will not be enforced. Because obviously if someone is showing a lame horse, It will be penalized heavily or disqualified. It will probably depend on the judge.

But if it's not.. That is horrible!!

9. TheBombDotCom

TheBombDotCom Senior Member+

Someone remind me... But there is a breathing issue (cant remember what it is called) that is also considered a lamness, so it isn't always pertaining to the legs, feet, hooves...

10. MonteStrides

MonteStrides Senior Member

Wow, that is quite interesting! I will research it sometime.