What to use to pull 4x4 chain drag

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Mayelix, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

I have a 4ft by 4ft chain drag similar to this one - ATV 4 ft. x 4 ft. Chain Harrow with 4 ft. Drawbar at Tractor Supply Co.

and a 100x100 stonedust arena. I have a 230cc ATV that I bought used which unfortunately had the transmission go after only a few uses, and the mechanic said it wasn’t worth fixing. I guess that’s what I get for buying a 1985 ATV... spent about $800.

So I’ve been looking for something to replace this, and it seems lawn tractors are quite a bit cheaper than ATVs, and so I could possibly afford something newer.

What size (HP) lawn tractor would I need for this setup? And if this isn’t the route to go ... could you recommend something else?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Just about any lawn tractor with a 48“ wide or wider mowing deck will pull that.
    I would return it and get a piece of old chain link fence and chain three tires on top of it. Pull that, it works just as well. Good for spreading manure with too.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  3. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

Thank you.

The drag is not new I’ve had it a couple years, just need a new vehicle to pull it - it works pretty well, the stonedust gets pretty compacted and hard and this loosens it up nicely.

4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

My suggestion is to acquire something that will provide you more versatility than just pulling that drag. Think about what other tasks a small vehicle could perform or make easier for you and choose accordingly. Yes, a lawn tractor will pull it, but will it benefit you in other ways...many of them are pretty limited in capabilities.

5. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

My 24hp Cub Cadet 50" mower pulls mine just fine, but I'd absolutely prefer to have an ATV for better turning radius and speed control.

6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

what about a small tractor? can be used for a few things.

we have a small one with a loader that I use to drag the arena. my arena has some spots that are pretty hard, and its on a bit of a slope, so it doesn't do any good to add more sand, it would just wash down to the end. lol. so, when I drag, I use a small drag and LOAD it with concrete blocks.... and when we get a good rain, I really go at it then. We came across a one row cultivator at an auction last fall, so that has helped too.

I also use it very often to brush hog the pastures. have used the loader a couple times, but much prefer the skidloader for that type of stuff.

7. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

I would get a side by side. I have one and have used it for literally everything under the sun. Love the lil critter!