1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

What to use to darken leather?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by walktrotcanter, Mar 4, 2010.

1. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member

What specific oil, cream, etc. will permanently darken leather?

Not interested in dyes, etc...just a natural/gradual darkener. :)

2. ponypony

ponypony Senior Member

I initally used oil olive, a few light coats. Yesterday I used hydrophane darking oil that's when I got the saddle really darker. I plan on putting another coat on today as well. Bridles I can usally get to the shade I want with just neatsfoot or olive oil. Saddles for some reason don't tend to get as dark.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  3. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member

Thank you!

That is a real difference in your saddle...and a good one (IMO).
    I'm not a chestnut colored leather fan, but seems like that's the color that's more readily available. I just wanted to know how I could darken without damaging.

I appreciate it!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  4. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Hydrophane is definitely the best though I've never used it myself. I've used olive oil and while it worked, it stained the white stitching on my bridle :(

The other day I tried mink oil (it's actually a cream) for the first time and I love it! It smells like cherry public bathroom soap LOL. It really did darked my bridle quite a bit, but it didn't work on my reins which were much cheaper leather.

5. Secret Meadows

Secret Meadows Full Member

I use Hydrophane Leather Dressing or Hydrophane Darkening Oil. The dressing does darken, but not a ton...so its good if you just want to take the redish color out something that's already pretty dark. The darkener works super well, almost to well, but it lightens up a tiny bit after about a day and all the uneven coloring disappears.

6. Native Winds

Native Winds Senior Member+

Hydrophane Darkening oil. PURE neatsfoot oil will work also. (do not use a neatsfoot compound)

I apply via paint brush. Use even strokes and work into leather. Allow to set for about 24 hours before adding 3rd coat.