What to use to darken leather?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by walktrotcanter, Mar 4, 2010.

1. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member+

What specific oil, cream, etc. will permanently darken leather?

Not interested in dyes, etc...just a natural/gradual darkener. :)

2. ponypony

ponypony Senior Member

I initally used oil olive, a few light coats. Yesterday I used hydrophane darking oil that's when I got the saddle really darker. I plan on putting another coat on today as well. Bridles I can usally get to the shade I want with just neatsfoot or olive oil. Saddles for some reason don't tend to get as dark.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member+

Thank you!

That is a real difference in your saddle...and a good one (IMO).
    I'm not a chestnut colored leather fan, but seems like that's the color that's more readily available. I just wanted to know how I could darken without damaging.

I appreciate it!! :)

4. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Hydrophane is definitely the best though I've never used it myself. I've used olive oil and while it worked, it stained the white stitching on my bridle :(

The other day I tried mink oil (it's actually a cream) for the first time and I love it! It smells like cherry public bathroom soap LOL. It really did darked my bridle quite a bit, but it didn't work on my reins which were much cheaper leather.

5. Secret Meadows

Secret Meadows Full Member

I use Hydrophane Leather Dressing or Hydrophane Darkening Oil. The dressing does darken, but not a ton...so its good if you just want to take the redish color out something that's already pretty dark. The darkener works super well, almost to well, but it lightens up a tiny bit after about a day and all the uneven coloring disappears.

6. Native Winds

Native Winds Senior Member+

Hydrophane Darkening oil. PURE neatsfoot oil will work also. (do not use a neatsfoot compound)

I apply via paint brush. Use even strokes and work into leather. Allow to set for about 24 hours before adding 3rd coat.