What size stirrup irons do I need?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by prairienights, Nov 17, 2008.

1. prairienights

prairienights Senior Member+

Ok...silly newbie-English-rider question. I have a saddle, ordered a matching Stubben bridle, so I'm finally on my way to having my own complete set of tack. (A couple hundred dollars away from it, but I'm getting there!)

Right now I'm using my trainer's extra set of irons, and they fit me, and for the life of me I can never remember to ask what size they are. But shouldn't I be able to measure the bottom of my boot or something? The one's I'm looking at come in 4.25 and 4.75.

Any tips?

Also, what do you think about these irons? I need some help keeping my heels down, and they claim that's what the offset eyes are for. Don't know if that changes anything, but they're in my price range, and all my stuff is Stubben anyways, haha.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/st%FCbben-double-offset-stirrup-irons/p/X1-0704/cn/1729/

2. AQHA Hunter

AQHA Hunter Senior Member+

What size shoe do you wear? I wear a women's 10 and use a 4.75" iron. Measure across the bottom of your boot, and then add about 3/4" to get an idea of the size you need. If you're in between, I'd go for larger instead of smaller (though most irons come in 4.5"). If you wear clunky winter boots, you'll need wider irons.

3. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

AQHA Hunter has the measuring suggestion perfectly.

As for the off-sets, I personally don't like them, I know others who do.

I had a pair of Korsteel Flex II Irons that I liked far better.

4. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

http://juliesmobiletack.com/stirrups.html

I use the finger width on either side of the boot clearance. I have found that measuring the bottom of the riding boot across where the ball of your foot goes then adding one inch to that measurement works pretty much the same way.

:)

5. magic_rider

magic_rider Senior Member+

You are supposed to be able to fit a finger either side of the widest part of your boot.

6. cowgirlek7

cowgirlek7 Senior Member

I wear a size 11 shoe and have 5"irons. I have stubben and korasteel irons, both of them are the plain weighted irons, I like them much better. Even though I have leg and knee problems, if I lose a stirrup I know it is always going to be in the same place because it is weighted.

7. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

That would work. Over here the PC rule is 1 centimetre either side of the boot. :D

8. Native Winds

Native Winds Senior Member+

I second that motion. You want irons that fit. If they are to big you increase your chance of a foot sliding through if you take a spill. If the irons are to small you can get a foot stuck in the stirrup and get dragged or what have you if you take a spill.

I use the thumb on each side it works out about the same way. I wear a size 8.5 to 9 size boot and I ride in 4.75" if my memory serves me well.

I have used the Sprenger flex but I own a pair of Fillis Stainless Steel from England. I have had them since I was 13 and I got them from an old saddle I bought back then. They needed some TLC and when I cleaned them up I foound the insignia. So I have had those stirrups for 25 years and they are older than that because they were used when I got them. Nice and heavy.

9. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Yep, size 8 here and 4.75 iron.

4.25 is pretty small - too small for most Adults. Most do come in a 4.5, but even that is pushing it (too small) for probably any shoe size 7 or over.

10. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

Yes; a 4 1/4 is for a child, young teen or a very small adult (up to about an adult size 5 boot).

Herm Sprenger and most knock off 'jointed' stirrups; that are sold as a size 4 3/4", actually measure about 4 1/2" inside the rubber covering between the jointed side area where a boot sits. MDC company uses the actual measurement when sizing their stirrups. So, a Herm Sprenger 4 3/4" stirrup fits closer to a MDC 4 1/2".

Also the stirrup foot depth varies from one manufacture to another. I can't stand stirrups that are too deep. Makes me feel as if I am swimming in the stirrups. Also as has been mentioned the type/make of riding boots also effects the sizing. For example, Mountain Horse boots (my 'Sportives' model do) generally measure wider across the ball of the foot than most Ariat boots. :)