Featured What size saddle do I need??

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Tigers Mom, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Tigers Mom

Tigers Mom Registered

How do I measure which size English saddle to purchase? I know It has to fit my horse, but, what about fitting my BUTT ?! :) How do I measure?

mustluvhorses likes this.

2. ImpressMe'nJump

ImpressMe'nJump Full Member

when i buy a saddle which is always english i never know how to tell what size is right
    i use a close contact ...

i am pretty small 5'1" and 100 pounds or less and i think i use a 16 or 16.5
    idk

sorry not much help

3. huntergrl4212

huntergrl4212 Senior Member

sit in some and see what size fits you best.. 4 fingers in back, 3 in front.
    Also different styles(close contact, AP) fit differently so you would need to make sure your size was the same throughout saddles

4. i luv my spirit

i luv my spirit Senior Member

I am approx. 5'9" and about 135 pounds and I ride in a 17". I have found this estimator to be pretty close to what size saddle is needed, given the correct measurements are entered.

Here you go :
    http://www.statelinetack.com/english.asp?CatID=1000

and then click on the link in the mid left hand side that says ' Find the Perfect Seat size for your Saddle'

Hope it helps and good luck!

-Hannah

5. mustluvhorses

mustluvhorses Full Member

i allways go w/ a big saddle because its more comfy! im really tiny i should be riding in a 16.5 but instead i ride in a 17.5! as far as it fitting ur horse i would just get a wintec then u wont have 2 worry.

6. ImpressMe'nJump

ImpressMe'nJump Full Member

do wintecs fit all horses or do you still have to get a wider tree size or small depending of the horse

sorry dont use wintecs.
    and as far as bieng bigger for english i would think that depending what u do as in riding english , having a to big of aenglish saddle would be hard

7. kansess

kansess Full Member

i have no clue but just make sure your butt isnt clinging onto the cantel for dear life

8. greyongray

greyongray Senior Member+

The three/four fingers rule is right on *however* you should also consider your height.

A taller rider, no matter their weight, should get a bigger saddle because the flaps are longer. The point of the flap should meet your knee, since that's why it's there.

Go check out that Stateline chart and if in doubt, I'd get the larger size. An adult rider that isn't petite shouldn't go smaller than 17" IMO - 16.5" is considered by many to be a junior size.

ETA: I'd say that most adults ride in a 17-18".

9. greyongray

greyongray Senior Member+

One more thing - on the topic of fitting the rider you can also look into the twist "size" and the seat softness. True these are not customizable options and sometimes are not specified, but it may make a difference. Sometimes you can find this kind of info on HorseTackReview.com.

For example, I have the Courbette Alpina, regular tree. It is advertised as having a soft seat but like others on HTR I have found it is anything but! (No pun intended). It fits my horse well but like I said is NOT soft or "forgiving" on the derriere.

10. Tigers Mom

Tigers Mom Registered

LMAO!!! I hear ya!!