What size of Western saddles for my teenage girls ????? Help !! :)

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by tabinmaine, Jun 7, 2011.

1. tabinmaine

tabinmaine Senior Member+

I am looking at saddles for my daughters, what size do you ride in ?

They are:

1. 5"7, 130lbs Sz 7
    2. 5"6 110 lbs Sz 5

I was thinking a 15 " and a 16" but not sure ??? Ideas ??

2. TrailLover182

TrailLover182 Senior Member

im 5'4" and 125 lbs and i fit into a 14 .. i think either one would be fine ..15s are very comfy and 16s are nice and roomy lol but i think 15 would be fine. but i have a 16 .. you can always go to tack shops near you and see what they like more ..the smaller might like the bigger the bigger might like the smaller lol happens. :D

3. Amarea

Amarea Senior Member+

I would say a 15. That's most common. Don't go to a 14 though because you have a harder time reselling.

4. xSecertsx

xSecertsx Senior Member

a 15" almost everyone I know rides in a 15" saddle, including my mom's 6'3" boyfriend. 14" doesn't leave much room to move, 16" is just to big for most people in my opinion. The front of the saddle there is only supposed to be a tiny bit of space between it and your legs. If your really that unsure, I would go to a tack store and try saddles out.

5. Amarea

Amarea Senior Member+

Actually there should be 2-3 fingers of width between the thighs and the swell of the saddle. Anything less and you are opening yourself up for problems. Case in point: When I started riding again last year, I was completely uninformed about proper saddle size for myself. I was riding in a 15" barrel saddle. I had very little to no clearance between my thighs and the swell. My horse was spooked by another one in the pasture and he lunged forward. I was thrown forward onto the swell and horn. My legs being that close to the swell caused SERIOUS bruising on my inner thighs. I'm talking bruises about 6in in diameter. And that was from hitting the swell ONCE. Not repeatedly like in a bucking scenario.

Your mom's boyfriend likely should be in a larger saddle just due to his height. Seat size isn't totally based on the weight/overall size of the rider but the height as well because the thigh is longer on a taller person. To say that a 16" is too big for most people is a pretty inaccurate statement as I honestly know very few people who ride in a 15" other than kids and very slim women. Saddle fit isn't a "one size fits most" thing.

Think of it this way. Say your moms boyfriend weighs around 225 (my dad is 6'3 and that's what he weighs). By riding in a 15" seat, he is concentrating his 225lbs over those 15". If the saddle isn't an accurate fit in the thigh area, he may be sitting at an angle to compensate for the lack of room for his thighs. That will also cause his weight to be distributed differently. If he were to bump to a 16" or 17", that is giving him the room to sit in the appropriate position as well as providing a greater area to distribute his weight.

Overall, you just need to make sure the saddle is an appropriate fit for the horse first and foremost. A saddle could be comfortable as can be to me but if it doesn't fit my horse, then it's not the saddle for me. Find a style that fits the horse. Then try different seat sizes to see what you are most comfortable in. Personally, after the situation I had with the saddle that was too small, I have become what I consider "claustrophobic" with a saddle that I think is too small. I can easily ride in a 17" saddle with plenty of clearance. But because of getting caught on the swell before, I actually prefer riding in an 18" just because I have more room.

meljean and (deleted member) like this.
  6. luckyrunner

luckyrunner Senior Member

Depends on what discipline they are going to ride. I am 5'9 and ride in a 14 or 14.5 seat. But I am a barrel racer. We like to have the swells right there. The depth of the saddles cantle also makes a difference in how the seat fits you. A deeper cantle fits smaller.

7. Chevmama

Chevmama Senior Member+

I'm 5'4 and 140lbs and I ride in a 16". When I was young and only 120lbs or less I rode in a 15" barrel saddle. My step dad, who was over 200lbs and was 6'2 also rode in it occasionally but he looked and felt like a sardine.

I would have them try out a few different sizes in the style you want at a tack shop. A cutting saddle, a roper, a wp, a reiner and a barrel racing saddle will all fit you differently. Different brands of the same type fit differently to people as well as horses. I personally now prefer a flatter seat than I did as a kid, I love the cutting horse type. Even the English saddle I ride in has a flatter seat without much for rolls etc... but you need a saddle that will be effective for what you're doing.

8. tabinmaine

tabinmaine Senior Member+

Thank you everyone for your answers !! I understand saddle fit on a horse is the #1 thing, I was just looking at some saddles and then got to thinking..I wonder what size my girls would be comfortable in.

I also agree, you want some space between you and the pommel or your weight is not distributed as it should be. A large man does not ride in a 15" saddle, if he does, he shouldn't be .... the most common size for adults men or women is 16" ....that's one thing I do know LOL

9. Sassy17

Sassy17 Full Member

A 15 for both or maybe a 14 for the smaller one but have them set in it before you buy it to make sure they like it

10. dream2jump

dream2jump Senior Member+

Depends what type of western saddle and how deep the seat is. I would go with either with a 15 or 16. Perhaps buy both sizes since you are looking for two saddles and see which they perfer and go from there.