what shots doees my pregnant mare need? also gonna do an ultrasound :)

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by queendancer, Jan 13, 2012.

1. queendancer

queendancer Senior Member

im just wanting a heads up on what shots she needs and how much they cost. i also want to see an ultrasound of the baby. she is due end of feb beginning of march. a little about her.. shes 16 and has had 4 babies this is her 5. she is very well built, big and stocky.

just want to know the shots i need. i know she needs her basics and she needs to be wormed in a month.

also going to put her on some good mare and foal supplements

i will be taking pics of the ultrasound to show you guys

anything helpful and tips.. thank you:)

2. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member+

I thought your parents were experienced in foaling out?

Lopinslow likes this.
  3. LVMYQH

LVMYQH Senior Member+

Sounds like something you should've planned out with a vet and researched BEFORE you bred her.

Ill let more experienced members answer this.

2 people like this.
  4. queendancer

like said in previous posts i bought her pregnant at beginning of january. and yes they are but they never gave there horses shots and its been over 15 years since they have...
    and its for the best of knowledge for me to know. its as easy as me going in to the vet and him telling me but i thought its always good to have in mind what is needed

5. horsekrazy89

horsekrazy89 Senior Member

[TABLE="class: MsoTableGrid"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vaccines
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 487, bgcolor: transparent"]*** When to give to a Broodmare
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 223, bgcolor: transparent"]Sleeping Sickness, Tetanus, Flu, Rhino and West Nile
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 487, bgcolor: transparent"]Give to pregnant mares 4 to 6 weeks before due date
    (Rhino is also give during the 5
    [SUP]th[/SUP], 7[SUP]th[/SUP], and 9[SUP]th[/SUP] mo. of Pregnancy)

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 223, bgcolor: transparent"]Rabies
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 487, bgcolor: transparent"]Give a few days After she foals and Before you breed her back
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

This is just a guideline chart I found.

6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

didn't you ask this recently on another thread?

why would you want to ultrasound just to see the foal when she's going to HAVE it in about a month and a half? if you have an extr $140 or so laying around, there are better things to spend your money on... maybe some mare care and foaling books? videos? lessons?

and i'm sorry, 15 years ago or not.. your parents never vaccinated their horses? please find someone knowledable you can learn from in person.

endurgirl and (deleted member) like this.
  7. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

I think I mentioned some of this in your other thread, and will give some other info about what I do with mares and foals, as it sound like this is going to be your first.
    I vaccinate for EWE, Tetanus, Rabies, and WNV. I think it cost me $60 something per horse last year plus the farm call. But cost is going to vary from vet to vet. Also, talk with your vet to see if there are any other vaccines that should be given for your herd situation and location. Remember, pregnant mares should be vaccinated roughly 4-6 weeks prior to their "due date".
    Also, as I mentioned before, it will be a good idea to have your vet out approximately 12 hours after your mare foals to do a mare and foal check and IgG test on the baby (also remember to keep the placenta for the vet to look at). My vet charges $50 plus the farm call for this...but again, will vary from vet to vet.
    Also, I deworm mares the day she foals with ivermectin, then continue with their regular deworming program (assuming all dewormers given are safe for nursing mares, or mares in foal if you re-breed her). Foals are dewormed starting at 1 month old and are done once a month from then on until they are 1 year old (at which point they are put ont he same routine as the adults). I rotate between a single dose of ivermectin, a double dose of strongid, and a double dose of safeguard.
    Foals are started and boostered with their own vaccinations in the fall around 6 months old, and then the next spring as a yearling are given vaccinations and are done yearly (every spring) like the rest of the herd from then on.

Also, do you know if you are feeding non-fescue hay?
    And, personally, I wouldnt bother with an ultrasound at this point. The foal is quite large, and you really arent going to see much.

8. queendancer

thansk for the information guys. ya i had already in mind of what was in the other thread. it was just so brief i wanted to make sure.

and nope they never vaccinated while pregnant unless it was regular time to be vacinnated.

thanks again guys

she and my other mare or going around jan 30.... but my other mare is not going for a pregnancy just a regular check up. is the end of jan a good time for my pregnant mare thats about 4 to 5 weeks before her due date

9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

one doesn't usually DO ultrasounds when they are almost due to foal, which is why i said it's a waste of money.

sounds like you AND your parents have an awful lot to learn about proper horse care. I urge you to find a local mentor or instructor that can teach you the proper way to do things and the proper way to care for your horses.

and because of that... IMPO you really shouldn't have pregnant mares or be breeding until you learn alot more.

10. FunSizeFriday

FunSizeFriday Senior Member+

This late in gestation there likely won't be anything to see on the ultrasound except a big black bubble (fluid inside the placenta). If your lucky there might be a foot. You can see more on a abdominal ultrasound, but not all vets have the equipment. At this stage, most vets will simply palpate to confirm pregnancy.