What prevents YOU from moving up?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Painter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Painter

Painter Full Member

I thought it would be interesting to see what prevents everyone from moving up to the next level/height. Non jumpers can post to for levels in their discipline. It helps if you add what you are capable of now. It can be anything, lack of lessons, poor legs, old horse, slow horse, lack of confidence, whatever

What prevents me from moving up is partially that my horse is still learning. Mostly though, it's because I second guess myself right before the jump and usually end up sitting back (without meaning too) and stuffing a stride in. It's one thing to stuff over 2'6", it's another thing over three foot where my horse has to actually jump not just sprawl over it (he's 16.3)

2. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

Hm, I have posted several times about my rotten luck. That's pretty much it--continuous bad luck with random lameness/vet issues (vet bills subsequently suck up my lesson money). The lameness issues are generally not related to one another. For example, in the past year we've had mastitis, abcess/white line in the left hind, a severe muscle tear in the right front, and most recently, fluid in the left front tendon sheath. I compete at Training level eventing (3'3") and want to move up to Preliminary.

3. lexukc

lexukc Senior Member

When I had a horse and was competing, it was his comfort level that keep me from moving up. We showed 3'6, and schooled 4+ at home, but he couldn't do that height competitively without taking rails. I guess it wasn't really his ability that kept me from moving up, it was the fact that I refused to consider selling him and buying something that could go higher.

4. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

Money seems to be my big issue :(

I've got the desire, the motivation, the horse with the skill, I just don't have the funds to invest in the training and showing costs necessary to move up. Heck, at the moment I don't even have the money to compete at the level I'm at already! This has not been my year for competing that's for sure.

5. rwinksters

rwinksters Senior Member

Well the fact that I don't own a horse is keeping me back pretty far. ;) I do lease, but I can't train her adequately for shows because she is also used as a lesson horse by a lot of little kids and she tends to stop listening to me when she has 5+ kids on her weekly.
    If I did in fact have a horse to show, I'd like to go up to the training level dressage and whatnot... maybe some O/F classes and possible some western events, but we'll see when it happens.

6. SilverShadows

SilverShadows Senior Member

Mum not letting me jump high XD

Shes great really ^^

7. ccc988

ccc988 Senior Member

I guess the main thing for me is that I just got my horse 3 months ago, and I've never actually taken him to a show. :) So although I school 3', I would have to start at crossrails and 2', just to get into the hang of showing. Then I could think about moving up.

8. Zoomarsgirl

Zoomarsgirl Senior Member+

Confidence. :( I'm really nervous jumping the bigger stuff, even if I have a horse that's perfectly capable.. I'm working on it though. :eek:

9. Oh'When

Oh'When Senior Member

my nerves and the fact that my horse is still green over fences!

he is capable of jumping at least 2'9 no problem but I am still too nervous to jump over 2'6... I have occasionally schooled him 2'9 but I just don't know if I could do it in a show...

and Owen has only been jumping since about may this year so we have to take it kindof slow!

10. STEENIE

STEENIE Banned

In my case, it is not what is stopping me from moving up, it is what is stopping me from moving down. This is related to anno domini and how many times the Earth goes around the Sun whilst I breathe. The need to execise and to work hard to hold it, is tempered by failing parts that try to deny the opportunity to exercise.:)

So far, the slip is under control.