What OLD people know about Horses and how they know it.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by manesntails, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

And some of us who have had to let a pet go wonder if we did the right thing.

My Dyna has been gone a year now and I still struggle with my decision. She wasn't in any pain, But had not moved a muscle over night. She was happy to have me pet her for hours while I waited for the vet to open. Her heart was the size of a melon. There was nothing I could do to save her. But a year later I wonder what If?

Having euthanasia available for humans would be even harder to justify.

2. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

It is in some states. I just had to learn a little bit about it in Medical Law and Ethics. It's called "Medically Assisted Suicide". If your terminally ill, you can make the decision to have the dr administer a lethal dose of drugs.
    We didn't go into it at depth, so I don't know if it's only allowed once quality of life is gone, or if the person can decide to do it at any point once they find out their illness is terminal.

manesntails likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

When YOU HAVE arthritis, you will get that it doesn't STOP hurting when you STOP moving, when it is in it''s advanced stages. A little arthritis, where you see very little bone changes is managed through meds. Once it gets in advanced stages or systemic, no matter how nice the eyes look, it's extremely painful.

People who have it CAN tell you what it feels like ; best to listen.

mooselady likes this.
  4. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

So true, wonderful insight!

BroadaxJuniorMint and paval like this.
  5. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

Dona Worry, This is a great perspective and it will help me with my sweet mare. I have wondered so many times over the past few months how I will know it is time. Thank you.

ChestersMomma, Dona Worry and foxtrot like this.
  6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Maybe you shouldn't assume things about other people, I have rheumatoid arthritis and understand quite a bit about it, but thanks...

Can't even make a positive point on here these days.

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

And it sucks when you don't have meds for it and when you, without meds, overexert, right?
    Hey, I just don't agree that a dog that can't get up is having a good life even if his eyes are bright. I think too many people keep animals that are in pain, for the meer fact that they do not want to lose the animal. That's all.

mooselady, Binca and ginster like this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yep, Colorado is one of those states. I know at least one that did it. Was of course on the news for that first one. .

Colorado woman ends her life under physician-assisted suicide law

manesntails likes this.
  9. bsaz

bsaz Senior Member

When my horse paused to take a dump, I couldn't resist saying (loud enough for my daughter to hear), "That's OK. I'm old enough to appreciate a good bowel movement..."

My daughter didn't blink an eye. "Heck", she told my horse, "when he gets together with humans his age, that's about all they discuss!"

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member

I've ridden many older horses who had some joint issues and I learned from an older woman to never judge whether they are truly sound at the beginning of the ride. Ride them for 10 to 15 minutes, starting at a soft walk and gradually moving to a nice working walk with lots of big circles and THEN judge. It is amazing how many arthritic horses end up losing their "hitch" when they warm up. I rode last week a horse whose back legs were a little stocked up and I did the above and had someone tell me how his legs were after that - and they were just fine. He just needed to get moving (he just stands in his paddock in one place) and get that fluid pumping out of his legs.

Well, rather than me KNOWING because of what I go through, I know things about ME as I'm aging because of my experience with horses. Yeah, arthritis hurts but once i get moving, I feel much better!! Now I just wish I could speak to my friend's horse who had gel injections in his hocks because I'm getting one in my knee tomorrow and I want to know what to experience! LOL

Binca, paval, LoveTrail and 2 others like this.