What makes a curb a curb?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mooselady, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

Do we ignore the fact that from what I understand at home the mare seemed happier in this bit?
    In other words, it is not so much fixing a bitting problem with a harsher bit but changing a bit to see if something else makes the horse happier.

I read it more - since I messed up the curb chain the bit was not reacting how I expected it to and I was getting the same response I used to get with my snaffle.
    Not - a curb bit with out a chain is just a snaffle.

Being an overweight middle aged rider who is progressing very slowing on my pony because I have some fear issues means I will never be critical of someone taking the slow progression. Heck, this is a hobby. If we (general anyone) want to get excited because this week at lesson we actually managed to make one round circle I do not see how that is doing anyone else any harm. I am happy with my progress, my pony is fine with my progress and my trainer will go at whatever rate makes things work for us. That is how hobbies work...even more so as a middle aged overweight rider like me.

Edit to add - That slow progress does not mean my trainer is not a good trainer. To me it means my trainer is a great trainer. She is training the horse/pony in front of her, not to some magically pre-designed schedule made by someone else.

2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Ok. You are a saddle fitter, no ? I also know what an expert rider and horsewoman you are. And, you were willing to tell *me* the truth about my craptastic riding, which i have worked on so much since we interacted, and i thank you from the bottom of my heart for it. You have no idea how much. The saddle clearly does not fit the rider. Her backside is handing over the cantle. And, i mostly ride in an 18 dressage saddle !!!! I dont care what her weight is, if the saddle doesnt fit, the weight will still be distributed on the back as someone struggling in a saddle that does not fit. If she was swimming in it, I would still state the saddle doesn't fit. The chin strap is too tight. I'm surprised these things are being overlooked. Or, played down or ignored. And, I do remember at one point you did tell me "if that's the best you can do with blue, don't ride her"...so, I changed.
    I have heard no one on this thread say...you're a big fatty so don't ride.that is NOT true or what is being said.
    What has been said is...
    Get a saddle that fits, don't ride in a curb like that with that kind of contact, work on your position, ask trainer why she doesn't want op to ride in that bit on a regular basis if not being supervised, loosen the chin strap, use the curb strap properly, horse has long back and a heavier rider will affect her more especially if position needs work and the saddle doesn't fit. These are things to ask trainer why they aren't being addressed and if horse is unhappy, we aren't we addressing those items instead of all these bit changes. Why are we pretending this is "light as a feather contact"...
    What are we all here for ? I am here... To help the horse. To help the rider and give the industry some well freaking needed integrity. It does no good for the horse or the industry as a whole to pretend this stuff isn't happening. No one, and I mean no one here has say "you're too fat to be riding that horse...so stop". This rider has been all over the place from snaffle a, to bitless and now curb being used like a snaffle. It ain't the bit or the horse...it's the rider. Congrats, because you can do something about it !!!
    I even said I was a heavier rider and all the stuff I'm suggesting, except riding in a curb, is based on my own personal experiences trying to improve myself, my horses, my knowledge base and my position/ riding skills ovet the last several years. In no way was what has been said here stating not to ride. I suggest those who are extrapolating this or saying we are a bunch of meany britches go back and reread without your filter. Look at it objectively.
    The rider, I don't care who it is, can't have decent contact no matter one or two handed with a position that needs lots of visible work in a curb, snaffle or any other gadget we want to use to fix this, in an Ill fitting saddle. And, if the trainer isn't addressing this, well...what does this say !? What's next ? Tie downs, martingales, draws and the like. That's how this goes. And, we all freaking know it.
    In my eyes, most Everything we have suggested has been poo pooed because the trainer didn't suggest it. So, why have these discussions at all if we aren't here to be honest and truthful and help people help themselves and their horses ?

Not everything has to be sugar coated to be true.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I didn't say that she *isnt* taking it into account. I don't know one way or another. I just said any (general term) larger rider does need to take weight into account.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Fergie was absolutely unhappy and in pain because of the biting issue in the posted video. She kept evading the bit up and down to try to escape the discomfort of mooselady hanging on her mouth in that bit.

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

This post needs a green rep.

manesntails likes this.
  6. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

mouthpieces do not determine the type of bit.
    a mullen or bar mouthpiece is what your person was calling a curb.

If you ask what a mullen is (snaffle or curb) it is easy to show the person has confused mouthpiece with bit name.

Most bits are named for their effect on the horse's lips, bars, chin and poll.
    When you associate the action/effect with the bit name, the understanding is clearer.

7. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

The keeper on the full check is a vital part of the bit to prevent rotating forward and the horse lipping the upper cheek into their teeth (safety issue).

While it may be illegal in Western Dressage, I would
    1. check the rule book.
    2. Show coach your info from the rulebook.

No, I would not try to tell the coach how the bit works.

And if it isn't in the rule book?
    Petition the organization for a ruling on the bit.
    Carry it with you to show to the coach or show steward if there is a question.

Many rules in horse showing are somewhat arbitrary. One must follow them until one votes to change them.

8. Tige Ress

Tige Ress Full Member

Personally, posting this video was totally uncalled for, malicious, ridiculous, immature, and to add fuel to a fire.

If I remember correctly, this video was posted to her journal which is basically her trails and tribulations on HER journey. You didn't say a ******* word then, so why the **** bring it up now? What ****ing right do you have to repost it? Would you like people to go into you journal or album and post pics in order to critique when you didn't ask for a critique on a thread?

I guess you are the only person blessed by the universe that has never ever ridden poorly or badly, or looked like you were humping a football. Nor, I am sure, have your horses ever travelled hollowed back, gazing at the stars, trying to evade the bit. Because, ya know, they are always, haaaaaappppppppy.

The reason you posted it was to add more fuel to the fire, hence the malicious cruelness of it.

Who do you think you are? What are your accomplishments in life that make you even THINK you have a right to critique others in the way you do it? What are they? I am dying to know.

And, if you were all the clinicians out there today rolled into one blessed glorious goddess of the horse world, I would still call you out on it.

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I agree it was rather uncalled for to go searching for a video on a different thread and then posting it here to critique it.

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I never said I was perfect. I never said she was riding badly. I never commented on either of our riding at all.

I posted the video because mooselady kept saying the horse was happy in the bit and all we had was "a moment in time" and that we couldn't see the full picture.

Well, we can see the whole picture. And that horse is not happy in that bit. I am not sorry for reposting that video here.

When you post stuff in the internet? People will see it. Never post anything that you don't want everyone in the world to see.

YOUR angry attack on ME is uncalled for and rude.

So I cranking on horses' mouths with leverage bits is acceptable on this forum now? That's nice. Bunch of great horsepeople here. Yup.

BluemoonOKy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.