What makes a curb a curb?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mooselady, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

For some people what's convenient has to be correct.....

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

So I suppose getting more and more strident, repeating yourself ad nauseum and telling her she's fat is going to convince her you're right.

Interesting tactic, never seen it work before, but carry on. :rolleyes:

3. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

I'm speaking in generalities about the forum as a whole here, not just about this thread as there was 'some' constructive criticism given on this thread.

There is intelligent constructive criticism, given with the goal of teaching and then there is jumping on a person, not offering any help and just beating them down. There is a difference.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I will admit, what while I disagree with choice of bit........I must say that I disagree with the direction this thread has gone.

Never in a million years would I have ever thought to bring up someone's weight. Few full adults weigh 50kgs or less - few are 75kgs or less! No matter what - everyone is the weight that they are and no comments from anyone else is going to change that! What would all of you have her do? Not ride??

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

As the thread is about bits, I would not have brought up her weight, personally.

I would not tell her not to ride or that she shouldn't ride. However, any larger rider does need to take their weight into account. It's just how it is. While bringing it up is politically incorrect, and it is a sensitive issue, I don't think that it's unfair for it to be a consideration with training issues.

However, since it is a thread about bits, it would have been better to stay on the bit issue.

Blue-Roan, manesntails and Compadre like this.
  6. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

This thread makes me really sad. From both sides of the argument.

RelaxMax and Trubandloki like this.
  7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

It is not politically incorrect.

If I try to ride a smaller pony or in general a horse that has a problem with how much I weigh, no matter how much in total that is, it's totally normal and acceptable to tell me, hey your weight is a problem here.

That can be a tall athletic man on a "normal" horse, that can be someone who is overweight, that can be someone of totally normal weight on a too small horse.

It's not my fault that there are idiots out there who shame heavier people for aesthetic reasons, this here has nothing to do with aesthetics.

8. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I think its weird how people can pick and choose when it's acceptable or unacceptable to mention weight.

When riosdad started a thread on riding double, everyone and their mom jumped him because that was too much weight for a smaller, short backed horse. Even though he stated multiple times that it was for short rides.
    But no one jumped the member (can't remember her name) who had a percheron and stated that no one over 200# was allowed to ride the horse.

Everything I have ever heard about horses and weight carrying ability is that a horse with a long back has trouble carrying weight. If you ask me, Fergie has a looooong back. I was actually surprised that mooselady got Fergie. NOT because I think mooselady is too heavy, but because I would think it would be a lot harder to build Fergie up and have her going correctly.

As far as the bit thing. The only thing that acts like a snaffle is a snaffle. A curb without a chain is not a snaffle.

Arem and bsaz like this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Garfield - this isn't a 200+ rider on a medium pony. It isn't even close to what you've described!

Arem - how do you know she isn't taking it into account??

Moose has a western saddle on the mare - that means she's spreading any weight over a wider surface area than what an English saddle could offer. The mare is quite substantial - sure a bit long in the back, but guess what?? Not every horse is perfect. What more do you want Moose to do if "not riding" isn't what you would both recommend??

10. Ghostrider58

Ghostrider58 Senior Member

I'm a heavier rider, and my horse has a long back. I also ride exclusively English. There's a reason I post very little about my riding triumphs and failures, especially now that I'm older.

I'm slower, fatter, and simply don't have the reflexes I had as a young woman. They're still there, they're just a lot slower and I'm more timid because I splat and break now, instead of bouncing.

By all means correct Moose's incorrect terminology about her bit, but the, 'you're too fat to ride your horse and you're a cruel assbucket' is completely uncalled for. She's not too heavy for her horse. As R&B stated, she rides in a Western saddle which distributes weight much better than an English, which I use.

Horses put up with a lot, but if they're uncomfortable or unhappy, they let you know. I've never seen Fergie look as if she's unhappy or in pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.