What makes a curb a curb?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mooselady, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

:D

I have been having a running argument elsewhere over my pet peeve, the oxymoron that is the 'shanked snaffle' It would be funny if it wasn't just a little sad, especially as the conversation was about Western Dressage, and as that is a discipline with a clear rule book, it is of not much profit to start relabeling things to suit yourself, they clearly show a snaffle as being a bit with rings, no leverage, and a curb as having leverage...

But then I did get to thinking, I totally 100% totally believe that a curb bit is defined by its shanks, but then I have to look at this and wonder, with embarrassment :blushing:

Here is Fergies current set up,

bit.jpg

Definitely a single jointed curb.

Thing is when I put it back together after cleaning I just put the curb on, obviously on the loosest setting. Then, and my excuse is I haven't used a curb for ages, never checked it when I next used it, which is why my curb looks like this

IMG_3417.JPG

Seems hat the curb chain was doing zilch, zero, nothing, and in affect (or is that effect?) what I was riding in was a snaffle, which explains why she felt so different, yes I KNOW I'm an idiot...

So, I will still argue that it is shanks that maketh a curb a curb, but as for functioning as a curb there has to be a curb strap/chain of some sort.

Next question, is this bit snaffle, curb or gag, does it need a curb chain to be effective (affective)
    [​IMG]

Are there bits which do not fall neatly into snaffle or curb, and why?

Spoopy_Doopy_Potato likes this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It's either a snaffle bit or it's a leverage bit. Some leverage bits are gags, but they all fit in either the snaffle (no leverage) or leverage category.

And no. Your long shanked leverage bit was not a snaffle without the curb chain tight. What it was was a leverage bit putting a whole lot of pressure on your horse's pole because there was nothing to stop it from rotating all the way around.

The function of the curb chain is to prevent the shanks from rotating past a certain point and also to put pressure on the chin.

If you have to pull that hard on such a long shanked bit, you and your horse are far from ready for such a thing.

emali06, NBChoice, Sam C. and 6 others like this.
  3. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Well, concrete is generally used, but I suppose it cares by city.

And generally you want something raised to help with drainage.

NBChoice and D_BaldStockings like this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Really trying to work out how that one fits in....o_O:rofl:

Sam C., Nu5ha, gaitedboomer and 3 others like this.
  5. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Good lord I can't type! I meant varies by city.

:p

manesntails likes this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Yeah, I'll take my trainers advice and support on that one......as I said I screwed up with the curb chain, and the bit was neither fish nor fowl as they say......yes that is a metaphor, I do know that it is metal.

Thing is when set up correctly, it is so different, we go back the the "give a feather, take a feather" form of riding, because that is all I need to have on her. It is mind blowing, and what is more mind blowing is how much quieter she is in her mouth. Trainer has watched her for two years and this is the happiest she has seen her. Would never have been my bit of choice, but it has been very revealing.

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Well now the sentence makes more sense now but still struggling with fitting it in to a conversation about curb bits:ROFLMAO:

8. Spoopy_Doopy_Potato

Spoopy_Doopy_Potato Full Member

Can I comment on the effective v. affective thing?
    In both instances, it's effect/effective, I believe.

I'm not sure what the difference is. I just normally look at it and tell, I think.

Like I'm pretty sure you'd say "How will this affect me?" but you would also say "What is the effect of this?"

"In effect"
    "It affected"

Idk, it's weird. XD anyways- subbing to this thread

Sam C. and mooselady like this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

You can jump in all you like, but I am a lost cause with those two.....:blushing: I have tried all my life and still can't get it straight, but then I am the person that still has L and R written on my hands at clinics or shows......bit of an issue now I'm wearing gloves, but still have them marked.....

10. Spoopy_Doopy_Potato

Spoopy_Doopy_Potato Full Member

Lol! I have to look down at my hands to think left or right often lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.