What kind of coats do MHF horses have atm? Clipping?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Jun 13, 2017.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I body clipped the horses in late February. Samson looks gorgeous right now, with a super shiny summer coat; he just finished shedding. Jessie on the other hand grew in winter coat after getting clipped, and is still shedding it out. She's overall pretty thick coated still. It has been in the 90's all week, and she's miserable. I'm concerned she has way too much coat for this time of year, and I always struggle to remember when she is usually all shed out.

So who's horses are still shedding? Anyone's?? :blushing: Has anyone clipped this time of year and had it look decent? She's a dunalino, so looks like albino princess peach when clipped....:oops:

2. txgray

txgray Senior Member

I clipped mine a couple weeks ago. He really never stops shedding, but he also has a super thick coat, we live in Texas, and he has issues with heat. Body clipping is pretty much a necessity for him. He looks super.

[​IMG]

3. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

Mine is still shedding :cautious:

She quite for a while and is back at it again.
    But she looks awesome and her coat isn't very thick!

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  4. Sabn

Sabn Full Member

IMG_4887.JPG My gelding went to a show last week. He had 3 baths within a week leading up to the show, and was brushed and curried for 5+ hours. He still came out of the show ring with hair all over his pad and girth. Next year I'm doing a full clip on him.

DocsLglyBlonde and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

OK I'm glad she's not the only one still shedding! Txgray, he looks great! I'm just really not sure I want to go through the ugly peach phase again after clipping :oops: Next year I'll clip later in the season.

She also started shedding like crazy, I clipped her, then she quit and grew coat in, then shed, then quit, etc. I know weather isn't suppose to be a big imfluence, but I think it was this year.
    That's how she looks. Good from afar, but hands on she still has quite a bit of coat on her still.

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Waylon is shed out

IMG_3282.JPG

Odette looks like she has mange.

IMG_2767.JPG

7. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

20170601_145700.jpg

Max shed out real nice. No clipping. I did roach his mane, though.

Winchester, Nu5ha and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  8. DocsLglyBlonde

I just went ahead and clipped her. It's going to be in the 80's all week, and she'd have been miserable, let alone riding. I'm so glad I did. She had SO much hair come off. She's kind of an ugly light color, but is nice and shiny. I did an ACV and warm coconut oil after shave on her (y) She darkens in the sun anyways, so I can deal with the light phase for a short amout of time :rolleyes: she's not peachy at least like she was in the winter. It's actually neat to see all her dapples and wither marks and stuff which aren't very visible unclipped or in the winter. I'll have to get a better photo of her tomorrow :)

Attached Files:

froglander and Fancy That like this.
  9. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Good for you to clip her. Seems she really needed it. My horse is super slick and fully shed out. But I still have little hairs "shedding off"...surprisingly

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

She horribly light, but shiny and happy, so that's what counts :ROFLMAO: Hopefully the sun darkens her up quickly! I didn't sign up for a cremello :rofl:

Attached Files:

Winchester and Fancy That like this.