What kind of bit for Breaking

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by AppalosaCowGirl, May 1, 2008.

1. AppalosaCowGirl

AppalosaCowGirl Senior Member

I want to get a bit for Sori.

currently I am starting to break him. I have a snaffle (and maybe that is fine) but I have not been using a bit/bridle a lot. because I think the bit is half an inch to big, and before I buy him a new one. I want to know if I should go ahead and buy another snaffle or get something else... I dont know much about bits... (and though I have read about them, asked on here. I jsut cant seem toretain the the info or be able to comprehend what bit is best for what... (yes I am looking to find a trainer this summer... or at least a "mentor")

he is pretty willing, I can riding him with just a halter.

in the future, he is might be trained in reining, or Cutting. (both?) but that is only if I can find a trainer around here. otherwise he will be a pleasure horse.

thanks

2. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

My favorite bit to start out in is a french link snaffle, D-ring or eggbutt. Most horses like the mouthpiece the best.

Check out www.sustainabledressage.com for excellent, easy to follow information on all types of bits.

3. EquineJessie

EquineJessie Senior Member+

Use a snaffle w/o shanks. An o-ring, d-ring or full cheek snaffle is what you want to use.

4. AppalosaCowGirl

ok I have a d-ring Snaffle.... how are they suposed to fit in the mouth. I think his bit is to big because when he moved his tongue he can bend the bit and pull it back and bite it.

(btw.. horses I have ridden before him and Lilly all used Hackamores... or I wasn't paying attention to the way the bit fit.. I could kick myself for not paying any attention when I took lessons.. >.< )

5. AppalosaCowGirl

thanks you this website is very informative. :D I like how the writer is a consumer, not a manufacturer telling you how awesome their bits are...

6. MissCriss

MissCriss Senior Member+

I like D-ring snaffles the best as far as it being mild :). A regular O-ring snaffle works fine too. I personally wouldn't start a horse with a hackamore or bitless bridle or halter.

Sounds like the D-ring isn't adjusted correctly in the bridle. You should see no less than two wrinkles on each sides of his mouth and no more than three.

I personally like french links in dressage, but sometimes they have a bit too much pinch. A lot of horses seem to like them though.

I also wouldn't suggest using anything too fat or too skinny, and no shanks or full cheeks just yet. Or anything twisted/wired or with chains (like on kimberwhicks). No rubber either, as it can be abrasive.

I've also heard that Myler has some REALLY nice bits for starting horses out in. You could check out their website and ask some of the forum members about them. I've never really used one myself so I couldn't say much about it.

7. AppalosaCowGirl

never mind that website answered this question... yay thanks again :D

8. mncowgirl

mncowgirl Senior Member

I start in a sidepull, then move to a sidepull with a ring snaffle, then move to either a full cheek or a d-ring depending on the horse.

Seems like a lot, but it works for me....

9. Nevada_Silk

Nevada_Silk Senior Member+

Might I ask why?

In my experience....I've found full cheek snaffles to be wonderful starter bits. I use one on all my horses (1 just started in it from the evil tom thumb his previous owner rode him in and the other is fully trained).

10. cowgurly02

cowgurly02 Senior Member+

For the first few rides we just use a halter, then move them into an o-ring snaffle. If I were you I'd go buy a snaffle that fits him properly :)