1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

What is the best way to clean a Western saddle?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Nikki., May 3, 2004.

1. Nikki.

Nikki. Registered

I am new to cleaning saddles.I am just wondering which is the best way to clean them properly?Any information will be appreciated! pony

2. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

You are talking leather right?

I have some LEATHER NEW that I use. Basically you spray it ALL over the saddle on the leather, take a dry washcloth ( I like them better) and scrub scrub scrub, then wipe excess off. On REALLY dirty saddles, add more soap/conditioner and repeat.

Leather New is both a soap and conditioner. Don't have to add anything else.

Works on both light and dark saddles.

3. hay burner

hay burner Senior Member

all i really use is saddle soap hmm whats the name????? ill get it and i rub it in itreally makes it flexible hope this helps :) works for me

4. Nikki.

Nikki. Registered

Thanks!!! That was very helpful. I was told to dip the saddle in water and use soap and water. then make sure the saddle dries right away.

5. kaitlyn

kaitlyn Senior Member

its safer to use saddle soap....only use water if its synthetic...someone i knew used the water technique and ruined her saddle

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Neatsfoot is a good penetrating oil, Lexol is a decent general conditioner. If your saddle squeaks, it needs to be oiled, then cap it w/ saddle soap. If there's an evasive squeak in the depths of the tree, try a light dusting of baby powder between the leather flaps & tree. And Murphy's oil soap is a SOAP more than an oil, a common mistake/ misconception. (It cleans, it doesn't oil per se.)

7. tn walker

tn walker Senior Member+

I love leather new! Be careful when using neatsfoot oil as it will darken leather. Do a test spot on the underside of the saddle first. Also, many western saddles have tooling in the leather. Use a toothbrush to scrub deep into the tooling and get it really clean! I would stay away from water. Wipe the dust and grime off of the saddle with a damp soft cloth. Then scrub with saddle soap with a tack sponge, soft cloth, and toothbrush as needed. Then apply a leather conditioner to keep leather soft and supple and water resistant (I personally like "Saddle Food". don't know who makes it, sorry!). When the conditioner dries, buff with a soft dry cloth to really bring out a shine.

8. Super Step

Super Step Senior Member

I vote for Leather New also. I also save all the old tooth brushes also.
    One other thing I use is the leather cleaner from a shoe store. I bought some for my shoes and could not resist trying it on a saddle. The one I bought had a soft brush on the lid of the can.

9. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Nikki. I did that, ended up with mold and mildew all over my saddle, and that was AFTER I re-oiled it!!!

Stick with saddle soap. Your saddle won't last as long if you do the water dip.

10. Nikki.

Nikki. Registered

Thanks guys!!!! That was really helpful. :)