What is "natural" horsemanship?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by shakti21, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakti21

shakti21 Banned

I dont get it it at al, what is un-natural horsemanship? what is natural?

I dont plan to use it, i'll stick to my much much older methods but I was wondering what it is since I hear it discussed so much.

2. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

The difference between teh old ways and the new ways is FORCE.

Old ways........Tie horse down, saddle up, and away you go! Till they get too tired to fight you.

New ways....takes a bit more time....give the horse a choice....move them bring them in, get the to accept you by giving them the choice to work or submit.

LEss "PHYSICAL" restraint. More mental restraint than anything.

Same with the saddle, I work a horse off and on till they will stand with NO holding for me to place saddle on the back and girth up. Same for me to get on. No one holds them......they stand because they choose to stand.

3. shakti21

shakti21 Banned

Thats a totally different, and not old enough, method you describe, mine go a lot further back than that, about 1600 years further.

4. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

That is the basic "Difference" people see.

Many don't know there are older ways that are very similar to the current "Natural horsemanship" training methods.

Just "natural horsemanship" today is who's got hte best DVD out and is HOT in the popularity market.

5. Bruce Wiley

Bruce Wiley Senior Member+

Natural Hormanship means working within a horses natural way of understanding and using the horse natural instrinct to comunicate your intentions, and to set yourself up as his or her leader in the pecking order.

Techniques used are the aproach, retreat, pressure and release and body language, and some of the horse's vebral sounds to communicate and reassure the horse of your present and what you want and need from him or her.
    Good, clear, consistant communication will convince the horse to perform, respect, and trust it leader in order to teach or train the horse to change bad behavior, and repeat good behavior by releasing all pressure and allowing the horse to discover it rewards and options in becoming a willing partner in the training sessions.

Most of the good NH trainers focus on the mental part of the horse.
    The mental part of the horse is where the brain of the horse dicate it's action, reactions and behavior.
    The mutual respect, trust/bonding and good leadership help and aid in the horse feeling secure and comfortable and open to learn and understand more and perform it maneuvers correctly.
    Natural horsemanship isn't new, it been around for many years, it wasn't known to many, but it was there.
    NH recently became more commerical thru the media and now some of us have discover it value and now use it.

A good NH person will be aware of many techniques and methods and may use some or little of the old ways that less threating to the horse.
    Pretty much a Good NH will still seek knowlegde from the horse and instill what is needed in the training.
    There is no cookie cutter training method or methods that works on all horses, because horses are unique like us.
    Natural Horsemanship is way and a guideline to communication with our horses.
    I hope this helps.

shsmith likes this.
  6. MaggieSue

MaggieSue Senior Member+

I think the words 'natural horsemanship' are very badly chosen...there's nothing 'natural' about what we do with the horses once we start training them, the same as dogs, cats, etc. They are however being domesticated. Different trainers train in different ways, you ask 10 trainers how to handle a situation and they will tell you 10 different ways, I believe the only thing they will have in common is that the horses learn by repetition, same as people do. You work with a horse consistenly, asking him the same way everytime to do the same thing, and he will learn it-good or bad! So for people to say that 'natural' means 'nice' and unnatural means 'harsh' just don't know what they're talking about. I never heard of natural until about 5 yrs ago, and I don't use tie downs, harsh bits, etc. I can ride my horses in regular halters! There's really not much difference IMO except for price and 'wording/phrases' of different trainers. They will tell you they don't do this or that, when in fact they do...it just has a different name (ie. lunging/circling game-smacking/pressure). .

7. Aussiesnapps

Aussiesnapps Senior Member+

LOL confused yet? ;)

8. BettyBootsy

BettyBootsy Banned

OH BOY not another one! :rolleyes: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.