What is a surcingle?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by MelissaH, Jun 16, 2005.

1. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member

and how is it used. Lately I have been noticing them in catalogs.

2. arabgirl15

arabgirl15 Senior Member+

Good question, I don't know either.

3. AQHA_Gizmo

AQHA_Gizmo Senior Member+

/\ Ditto! Hmm...

4. arabgirl15

arabgirl15 Senior Member+

LOL........"and nobody knows" lol

5. Bella

Bella Senior Member+

A surcingle is a training device, often used on young horses. It is like a harness, without all of the extra pieces attached to it. They are most often used while lunging a horse. Not only does it allow the horse to become used to something "holding" its belly, but it is also helpful if you are going to use training devices such as side reins while lunging, as it gives you something to attach them to. :) Some breeds of horses are also shown in hand wearing one.

-Bella :running:

6. MissBandit

MissBandit Senior Member+

Right Bella. You would use this for long lining, or driving, a horse while they are in training on how to respond to reins. The line attaches (on each side) to the bit, runs through a ring on the side (depending on how high you want to position your line) and runs back to the handler.

[​IMG]

7. pnh

pnh Senior Member

theres also just elastic ones that you can put around your covers to keep the wind from blowing up them or over your saddle pad if you wanna ride bareback but dont want it to slip. its just like an elastic belt.. and theres the ones like in the pic aswell... pretty much same idea

8. stockhorse

stockhorse Senior Member

sorry guys that is not a surcingle.A surcingle is a second girth, mainly used on stock saddles.It goes outside the flaps and over the top of the saddle just behind the pommle.What you have a picture of is a lungeing surcingle and has the attachments tofit rollers for mouthing ,side reins etc..Anything refered to in rug ads is normally elastic and simply fits around the girth line to help hold a rug in place.

9. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator Staff Member

My Surcingle is part of a bitting rig.

My bitting rig has the surcingle, overcheck/side-check, side reins, crupper, long lines/driving reins, and a longeing cavasson. (see diagram)
    I also have a set of racing blinkers I also use with my bitting rig, if I am going to continue on with the training and teach the horse to pull a cart. :D

I like to have any horse I own become aquatinted with and comfortable wearing all the different parts no matter what performance career they might be headed for.

10. Linssue55

Linssue55 Senior Member

Surcingle

It is like a wide leather belt that goes around the entire barrel of the horse and buckles lika belt. It is used for lungeing the horse by attaching side reins to it in the rings on it. Side reins aid the horse in bending, brings up and softens the back, it aids in a proper head set bending at the poll, engages the rear end promotes engaged hock action. In general side reins teaches the horse to work its body properly, surcingle is just something that things attach too....Linda