What is a seroma (sp)?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Two Socks, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Two Socks

Two Socks Full Member

I just talked to my vet and he said my horse has a seroma (sp). I am suppose to stop and get some bute for her to relieve the pain. He said if it don't go away in a week then he is going to have to drain it. I trust my vet but just wanted to know if any of you have ever delt with one of theses before. Should I be really concerned or is it something minor? (i don't think anything is minor when it comes to my horses!!)

2. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member+

What part of the body is it on and what does it look like?

3. Two Socks

Two Socks Full Member

It is on her hind end just above her hock. It is like the size of a softball and is squishy. Feels like gel when you push on it.

4. PawNHoofPrints

PawNHoofPrints Senior Member

A seroma is just a pocket of fluid (serum) and will typically resolve on its own over several weeks time. NSAIDs such as bute and a pressure wrap can often help it to resolve more quickly.

Did your vet actually look at the area or did he diagnose over the phone?

5. Two Socks

Two Socks Full Member

He just talked to me over the phone. Right now he is out of the office and in the complete opposite direction working so he was going to go out tomorrow and look at her but for right now he just wants me to give her some bute and wash her leg done. He thought that it might be an absest but it was not hot when i touched it so that made him think it was a serum.

6. Two Socks

Two Socks Full Member

I am going out to check on her and give her some bute right now so i will see how she is doing

7. dancer

dancer Senior Member+

It sounds like the same thing as a hematoma. That's where the horse basically gets a bruise and there's a pocket of fluid. We just had to let my horse rest for a few weeks and applied(I think it's called) DMSO to it and the vet did drain some of it off, but it went away-even after it was gone, that spot always sweated more than the rest of his body for probably over a year. It still does occasionally, but it causes no problems at all.

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

How can a vet diagnose a seroma over the phone? :confused:

9. PawNHoofPrints

PawNHoofPrints Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. You CAN'T!!

10. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member+

Amber our Mare has one on her hip. My vet came out and pretty much said it may go away or not.