1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured WHAT is a SAFE weed killer to use in a pasture??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by 4hooves4me2, Apr 16, 2009.

1. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

First, go talk to your local extension agent and get you weed targets identified. Do NOT spray Roundup on your grass pasture. Roundup is a non specific herbicide, meaning there isn't much it won't kill. If you are wanting to kill broadleaves (like Russian Thistle, Kochia, dandelion etc.) and not grass species, you can use 2,4-D and/or Banvel mixed together. I think that both of those are restricted use pesticides; you have to have a private pesticide applicator's license to obtain and use them.

As far as the fertilizer recommendations, you need to get a soil sample pulled. Many of the labs that do the analysis will also make soil amendment and fertilizer recommendations.

Really, the best thing to do is talk to your local county extension agent or a crop consultant (look for one certified by the American Society of Agronomy.)

2. rageandglory

rageandglory Senior Member+

borrow a goat : )

sorry if this is redundant, i read most but not all previous posts.

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Exactly - kills everything, so it doesn't matter if it's safe.

Yep, that's what I had put down before the horses moved in here as the place was a neglected cow pasture with a LOT of wild blackberries, bramble, poison ivy, and other undesirables, and the 2,4-D/Banvel mix did a great job. And yes, it was applied by a company, they did a great job- sure don't want that stuff flying around lol

Yep, that and lime. It's a waste of $$ to put down what you don't need, and just about a waste to not put down nearly enough.

Seriously, my pasture had sections that were just chock-full of buttercups (came in post-2,4-D/banvel), and after a bit of proper liming and fertilization, they are ALL gone, without any weed killing.
    Agreed :)

4. 4hooves4me2

4hooves4me2 Senior Member+

Ok...check out the BOLD part. I am sure it says I am going to get the soil tested there. Just as it has been for the 60 years it has been in my family. It just hasn't been done for the last-let me figure-ok not 20 years, but 18 years. Since I have been here-I have found no need to get it done-but now I have the horse numbers down-I just want the pastures back the way they were.

As for the weeds I am killing, I have found them online-I just can't remember the name-it is one plant inparticular that is trying to take over out there. The one ag guy I spoke to at the co-op said if I can mow them off before they flower it would really cut them back as well. Since I am trying to find things that are safe alternatives for the horses-he suggested that being about the safest.

5. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Yep, regular mowing, before weeds go to seed, is critical. Weed seeds can live for years and years and years, so preventing them is crucial.