Featured WHAT is a SAFE weed killer to use in a pasture??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by 4hooves4me2, Apr 16, 2009.

1. 4hooves4me2

4hooves4me2 Senior Member+

I have one paddock that is just terrible with weeds. Is there anything I can use that won't affect the horses health? They aren't eating the weeds in question-but I am quite sure some of them can't be good. I have yet to see a pasture without SOMETHING in it it shouldn't have-lol.

Also, any suggestions on a good fertilizer to use with horses? (Different pasture-not wanting to help those weeds out any. :wink:) Any suggestions will be appreciated more then you know-

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

I have spent the mornining spraying Grazon on the regrowth and weed I have here.

Now I am off to roundup some of the boundary. It will kill everything. Including me :(

4hooves4me2 likes this.
  3. 4hooves4me2

4hooves4me2 Senior Member+

lol-I understand!

Thanks, I am going to google that and see where I might find that. This wet year, and last has things popping up I have never seen before in there. And lots of it all. UGH.

Thanks for responding!

4. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

You can use this stuff.

http://www.yates.com.au/products/la...eed-control/yates-weed-n-feed-liquid-hose-on/

It is reasonable inexpensive and won't kill most grasses. Dilution rates are on the website I posted. You can use it from a watering can or a spray pack. (I have a 100litre battery operated spray pack. I am serious about this growth here)

What you use depends on the sort of weed.

I use a variety of killing things for different purposes. Grazon for woody regrowth trees, roundup (glyphosate) for under the electric fence where I don't want anything growing.

Weed n feed is good for smaller areas.

5. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Before fertilising it is best to get your ground tested. You may need to add lime or dolomite depending on ph levels.

6. horse_mom

horse_mom Senior Member+

i don't know about uding it with horses, but round-up is so safe we had a sales man out here that actually drank it, just to prove how safe it was.
    he did it for years until he retired in his 70's

7. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

I have to wonder how many retirement years he had. It is the worst chemical for me. Using it gives me headaches, fuzzy tongues and headaches.

It will kill anything that it gets onto. The reason I use it under the electric fence. The others are more selective in what they kill.

8. horse_mom

horse_mom Senior Member+

i heard from my uncle that he was around till his 90's!
    doesn't work well on crab grass:(

9. Stormyheart6160

Stormyheart6160 Senior Member+

Tammy, goats work great on weeds, and they're safe for the horses. LMAO

I can send you some (Like, about 8 of them)? ROTFLMAO

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Talk to your local County Extension agency. You need to know what kind of weeds you have, as there are herbicides that specifically target broad-leaf weeds, other are indiscriminant including killing grass, and more.

You also need to have your soil tested to see what fertilization it needs, as well as if it needs any lime. Proper pH of the soil goes a long, long way to keeping weeds down, as they generally need a pretty different pH from grass.