Featured What is a good size for a riding ring?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Lucky Duck, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Senior Member+

I was wondering what you guys think is a good size for a small riding ring? We are planning our permenant fencing and I want to figure how much wood to order for the riding ring. I figured that I would do a small one... we really ride trails more than anything, but I'd like to have the ring for schooling/training if I need it. Plus, it would be good for a warm-up/cool-down area. So what would be good... 60' x 100'?

My Mr. Ed likes this.

2. CowGirlUp1833

CowGirlUp1833 Senior Member+

You will be shocked how small 60 x 100 really is. What type of riding do you do? I personally don't think I would want to go smaller then 80 x 100 at the very least. We ride in a 100 x 200 indoor and it can still be tight at times. (But we jump so we need more space) Even canter work is hard tho in an area less the 80 x 100...they just can't stretch out much. Thats just my opinion tho! :)

3. My Mr. Ed

My Mr. Ed Senior Member+

My riding area is 100 x 200. I really think 60 x 100 is going to be too small. It looks big at first, but when you get in there, esp. if you are going to jumping, it's really too tight to anything. LOL.
    If there is someone else riding with me, 100 x 200 gets really tight at times. But, I have a jumping corse set up....so the jumps take a lot of space too.

4. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Senior Member+

We mostly trail ride and I ride Dressage. Sometimes I'll give my husband a "lesson" too. I quit jumping because of medical reasons, so I doubt I'll jump again.

I don't remember what size the riding ring was at my old house...

5. Paintlover

Paintlover Banned

The bigger the better...to an extent

6. Doll-Face

Doll-Face Senior Member+

Well I have a 48 x 84 (ya I know strange, but it was a 60' round pen and I put it up against the barn so I used those 4 panels to add on the length, lol)

Anyway, I wish it were LOTS bigger. You might could get by with a 60 x 100 since you'll only have one person riding in it, but like they said, gettin a good canter will get you going more in a LOT more circles then going straight ;)

7. Super_Trooper

Super_Trooper Senior Member+

Ours is 100x200 and I find it big enough for schooling, training, dressage and schooling some jumps. Mind you I havent had a "course" set up in there yet...but it's big!

8. My Mr. Ed

My Mr. Ed Senior Member+

Here some info. I did some searching to find out the standard size for a Dressage ring.

http://www.cha-ahse.org/railarticles/arenasize.htm
    So that gives you an idea.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

Our indoor has really odd dimensions, it's 83 x 123'. I really wish that it were wider. I would consider making at least the dimensions of a dressage arena, plus at least 8 feet on each side. That way you could put an arena in and still have an room on each side to move around.

10. zorse

zorse Senior Member+

My ring is 100 x 200. It's a "full-size" jumping arena.