What is a cowy horse??

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Sancho, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Sancho

Sancho Senior Member

Ok I feel well stupid, but what does cowy mean?? :p

2. Sancho

Sancho Senior Member

anyone.............

3. manesfarm

manesfarm Full Member

OK that is when a horse is naturaly willing to work cows....if you say his bloodline is to cowy then he has alot of cow blood in him like Doc Bar, Poco, and so on

4. 2000-Flash-2000

2000-Flash-2000 Senior Member+

what manesfarm said and it could mean a really stocky horse

5. DakotaKristine

DakotaKristine Senior Member

a horse that works with cows, quarter horses.
    if you watched the movie red river or john wayne movies you would most likely see one :p

6. Sancho

Sancho Senior Member

hey cool thanks for your responses.

7. Super Step

Super Step Senior Member+

They seem to have a natural instinct and drive to herd other animals, such as cattle.
    They are also more willing to drop their head to the bovines level, and use it to their advantage.

8. dockeramb

dockeramb Senior Member+

A cowy horse will watch, track, and rate a cow. Most quarter horses have natural instincts to work cattle. But other breeds work them just as well. Arabs for example, are making a name for themselves in the cutting world!! With those long beautiful necks, they can really get down and get "snaky" with a cow.

My horse Docker can really read a cow, and knows what it'll do before I do. He would pin his ears, and really direct that cow. Docker has won alot of cattle pennings, and one-on-one work. One-on-One, is where you go into a herd of cattle, get your #'d steer, and bring it back up to the front of the arena, and get him penned in 30 seconds or less. It's fast, and furious, and absolutely fun!!!!! And you get the satisfaction, of doing it alone with just your horse!!!!

9. Peg D

Peg D Senior Member+

Might I add once you work a cow on horseback, you'll find that it is alot of fun. There is a challenge to it.
    The cattle in a penning situation have numbers on them. The announcer will call out a number at the beginning and its your job to "cut" that calf/cow out of the herd, run it down to the pen and put it in the pen..... even if you don't do this in 30 seconds and it takes you 5 minutes.... a BLAST!!!!

10. dockeramb

dockeramb Senior Member+

Oh Yes!!! Absolutely!!!! And I might add, that it's very addicting!!! :p There's something about you and your horse, working together, and getting those steers where you want them, and not let the the steer out smart you!!!! HEE! HEE!! Cows aren't as dumb as some people think!!!!