What have you had to do that butchered your horse's appearance to an embarrassing level?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by ClassicSolo, Dec 3, 2016.

1. ClassicSolo

ClassicSolo Full Member

My mare grows an insanely long coat in the winter, despite being in California. Like, your hand completely disappears within it on any given part of her body above the legs. Anyway, because of this, I discovered that no one had noticed while I was away from home for an extended time, that she had a severe rainrot case hanging out underneath all that, allllll over her hind quarters, and even up on her back a little bit.
    I felt terrible when I discovered how far it had spread ( she's retired to pasture, she just looked like she'd rolled on some poop and just had little flattened a small spot here and there, as she is otherwise plump and healthy, so nothing raised suspicion).

So I immediately went and bought a treatment, but it is getting too cold to bath her, and I don't have the cash for a pair of clippers, but her coat was far too long to try to see all of it and treat it properly. So we sought it all out, and I had to use a large pair of good scissors to just sheer down to a super short length so we could find the extent of it, and scrape it off, properly treat it, and make sure it had constant supply of air.
    Needless to say, I wasn't going to sheer her whole body, so she now has large areas that have been sheered down, while the rest of her has a yeti length coat.
    I would laugh except it just looks so weird, it's embarrassing.

God I hope those nosey, nonhorsey neighbors don't turn us in claiming abuse or something (they are notorious around the neighborhood for that).

Has anyone else had to do something that made their horse look horrible?

mooselady, Dream27, Nu5ha and 5 others like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

And you didn't post a photo, there, Classic? o_O

NO shame, you're amongst friends here~!!:D

Not that we wouldn't laugh, just that how would you know we were? :ROFLMAO:

When I was a kid, turned my horse out in the old apple orchard with a bunch of other horses we were resting for a couple of weeks. When we went to get them, my pony was COVERED in bee or hornet stings, don't know which.

I get him home and being a young idiot, I take the Gentian Violet with it's round fluffy dauber that's fixed to the inside lid, and I paint each and every one of those stings with Purple medicine.

Yep, Reverse Appaloosa Zebra Buckskin pony for a few days~!! :confused: And I rode him like that. :LOL:

3. ClassicSolo

ClassicSolo Full Member

I almost did, but to be honest, I always have a hard time getting pictures to upload . That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it haha!

Oh my gosh your poor horse. Stings are painful, and on top of it he was painted purple?:ROFLMAO:

4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

My first time attempting something other than a full clip. I rode her like this for a while before it got fixed. :faint: 10653710_10152480368018505_2892142799960170377_n.jpg

Someone told me my horse was angry because he couldn't see through his forelock. So I cut it. They said if I twisted it then cut it, it would look natural. (Morning of a show too!)
    I never listened to them again.
    100_0489.jpg

5. Mackenzie M

Mackenzie M Senior Member

I had to shave one of my gypsy vanners hind feathers to treat scratches. instead of shaving all of them, I just did a ring around the pastern...looks like she has those sweatbands on from the 90s :eek:

6. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

I had an old gelding that grew an incredible amount of hair in the winter.
    Usually about midway through spring shed I'd get sick of dealing with it and bust out the clippers.
    One year I thought it would be funny to clip his name in his coat and then finish it up.
    Except then my blades started to dull.
    And the spare set I thought I had sharp and ready to go was, well, not.
    So I put him back in the pasture with the intention of getting the blades sharpened and finishing it the next day.
    That turned into a week. Turned into a month. Turned into a well he's just about shed out now :ROFLMAO:
    He was the talk of the barn for awhile though :D

7. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

I shaved my Fjord into a zebra one spring. That got a lot of attention when we put her in the front pasture.

Need to come up with something entertaining for this year. Maybe a Dalmatian?

waresbear and ClassicSolo like this.
  8. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Or a giraffe?

ClassicSolo likes this.
  9. Sarai

Sarai Senior Member

well let's see some pictures! ;) :p

mooselady likes this.
  10. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

I'm working on finding pictures... I thought I had them on this computer, but no luck. Making the spouse find them...

BroadaxJuniorMint likes this.