What exactly is a "claimer race?"

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by prairienights, Oct 26, 2008.

1. prairienights

prairienights Senior Member+

I kind of understand the concept, but I have always wanted to ask. What exactly is a claimer race? My horse ran his last race in a cheap claimer, hehe, just wondered how it worked.

2. Tymacs Girl

Tymacs Girl Senior Member+

From what I heard, horses that are entered in claiming races are up for purchase. If a horse is claimed, regardless of how it did in its race, it is sold. I believe before the race begins people "bid" on the horses in the race. And the highest offer for the horse gets the horse.

3. stb_chance

stb_chance Senior Member+

From what I know, a claiming race is where a certain set amount of money is put on each horse. If the horse is entered in a $5000 claiming race, and someone puts $5000 down on that horse before the race, then at the conclusion of the race the person who put the money down owns the horse no matter how the horse finished.

4. firestorm

firestorm Senior Member

if a horse is ran in a claimer race, the race card will say something like 5/8ths mile, $2500 claiming for fillies and mares who havent won a race in 90 days.
    When the horses are in the saddling area, you can then look them over and begining then, you may claim that horse or you can claim the horse all the way up til right after the race. I have known several ppl who have claimed horses right after a race because they wanted to see how that horse ran that night before deciding to purchase it.

5. 2horsestoride

2horsestoride Senior Member+

That's incorrect. For a claiming race, you must be eligible and have an account with the track and have the $$$ in your account prior to a claiming race. (Different tracks have different rules)

Simplistically, anyone who is eligible can make a "claim". Claims are taken prior to the race and kept confidential until the race is complete. If there are multiple claims, the highest claim "wins", understanding of course, that a claim has to at least meet the minimum, e.g. if it's a $15,000 claiming race, your claim has to at least be $15,000. No one knows prior to the race how many, if any, claims are made. Once the gate opens, whoever has the highest claim owns the horse. No matter what the outcome.

Expressa likes this.
  6. Expressa

Expressa Senior Member+

Exactly what I was going to say. I actually had just about the same thing typed out but my internet kicked me off and I lost it all.
    My grandfather bred/raced TB for many years and he and my mother have bought many horses after a race but they were not claiming races.
    Like 2horsestoride said, to claim a horse you must be eligible and have an account with the bookkeeper. Money must be in the account previous to the race. Claim slips are filled out the day of the race and kept locked in the racing secretary's office until after. Not even the owner knows until after the race if there is a claim on his/her horse.
    The point of the claiming race is to keep things fair. If these races were open to all horses people would be entering their stakes horses for practice and easy money. You would have the same horses winning everything.

7. firestorm

firestorm Senior Member

Not completely incorrect. The track where I go allows you to claim the horse at the end of the race. As was stated, not every track has the same rules. Keep in mind, this track is not a huge track like Saratoga and Hawthorn. Also, even I can claim a horse in a claimer if I have the money in hand, I do not have to have a trainer or someone else make the claim for me.
    I found out all this a couple years ago when I had plans on getting into TB racing as an owner.
    Like it was stated though, not all tracks have the same rules. You would need to check with whatever track you might be interested in claiming a horse at to see what their rules are.

8. shenanigans

shenanigans Senior Member

A circuit tracks & B circuit tracks differ somewhat, but in Canada you must have your claim slip in prior to the race. If their is more then one claim slip on a horse, they toss the dice.
    Once the gate is sprung you own that horse.
    The stated claiming amount in the race conditions is what you pay, you dont bid more, the only time they have done that is where the claiming conditions are a little more "open" as in Claiming $20,000.00- $25,000.00
    Naturally some rules & regs are different in Canada & the US also.

9. 2horsestoride

2horsestoride Senior Member+

Sorry - but it is incorrect. Can you name the track? If a track in Illinois (I'm assuming Ill as that is where you're avatar states you are located. If not Ill - what state?) is operating in this fashion, they are violating rules and regulations put forth by the Illinois racing commission. As a relative of mine actually sits on this commission, this is very near and dear to my heart and I would like to know the name of the track. Perhaps there is another explanation? Please see the excerpt from the Illinois racing rules book that I pasted below. Here's a link to the PDF of the entire rule book. http://www.state.il.us/agency/irb/racing/pdf/rule book/rule book 08012008.pdf
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Section 510.10 Definition
    As used in Part 510, a "claimant" is a person or racing interest meeting one of the three criteria
    for eligibility specified in Section 510.20.
    Section 510.20 Claiming Eligibility
    In a claiming race any horse may be claimed for its entered price by:
    a) a licensed owner or the owner's authorized agent;
    b) a licensed racing interest or its authorized agent; or
    c) any person who has established eligibility to claim by filing an application for
    license as a horse owner and has been granted a claiming authorization,
    pursuant to Section 510.240.
    ILLINOIS REGISTER
    ILLINOIS RACING BOARD
    NOTICE OF ADOPTED RULES
    Section 510.30 Form and Deposit of Claim
    a) All claims shall be made in writing on a form provided by the Board. Claims
    shall be signed and sealed in an envelope having no identification mark except:
    1) the name of the track;
    2) the number of the race from which the claim is being made;
    3) the stamp of a timing device provided by the track for that purpose no
    later than 10 minutes prior to the thoroughbred post time and 30
    minutes prior to the standardbred post time of the race in which the
    horse to be claimed is entered.
    b) The stewards or their designated representative shall open the claim box no
    sooner than 10 minutes prior to the thoroughbred post time for each race and 30
    minutes prior to the standardbred post time for each race. In thoroughbred
    racing, no information concerning the claims shall be divulged to anyone other
    than the racing secretary's staff and the horsemen's bookkeeper until the race
    has been run. In standardbred racing, the public announcement of claims filed
    prior to the race shall be permitted. If more than one claim is filed for the same
    horse, the successful claimant shall be determined by lot by the stewards or
    their designated representatives.
    c) Once a claim is deposited in the claim box, the claimant cannot withdraw or
    revoke the claim.
    Section 510.40 Errors which Invalidate Claim
    a) A claim is invalid if:
    1) the claimant named on the claim form does not meet one of the three
    criteria for eligibility specified in Section 510.20; or
    2) the claim form is not deposited 10 minutes or more before the
    thoroughbred post time and 30 minutes or more before the standardbred
    post time, pursuant to Section 510.30(a); or
    3) the claimant does not have at least the amount of the claim on deposit or
    credited with the horsemen's bookkeeper; or

4) the name of the horse to be claimed is erroneously spelled or is not
    specified in the space provided on the claim form; or
    5) the claim form:
    ILLINOIS REGISTER
    ILLINOIS RACING BOARD
    NOTICE OF ADOPTED RULES
    A) does not specify the designated claiming price as printed in the
    program;
    B) is not signed;
    C) does not fully indicate the name of the party making the claim; or
    D) is otherwise incorrectly completed; or
    6) the claim envelope does not meet the specifications of Section 510.30(a).
    b) In determining amounts on deposit, consideration shall be given only to amounts
    on deposit in the sole name of the claimant. Amounts on deposit in accounts
    owned jointly or in the names of others shall not

jumpthemoon likes this.
  10. mustang_dodger

mustang_dodger Senior Member

wow i just learned a little more about claiming races.