What effects does weed killer have on horses?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by loulou123, Sep 30, 2008.

1. loulou123

loulou123 Senior Member+

Just what it says does anyone know what effects does weed killer have on horses??

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member+

Other than plain ol chemical poisoning, I believe it attacks/ destroys the major organs like liver and kidneys.
    What exactly it does and attacks may depend on what chemicals are involved.
    In short, nothing good.

3. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

Yep, can shut down liver and kidney function, cause drooling, loss of motor coordination, etc.
    Why, do you know a horse that got into it, or is someone planning on using it in teh pasture?
    We got into a real argument over that at the last place I boarded.

4. 4kids

4kids Senior Member+

We used horse safe stuff and kept the horses out of the pasture for a few days. My mare evidentaly has sensative skin as she broke out in hives on her neck and lost a lot of hair on her neck, decided that next time we would do the big pasture and not the little one so they could stay in it longer to avoid the residue!

5. loulou123

loulou123 Senior Member+

Thanks for the responses, I found out this morning that the field my gelding is in was just sprayed with a weed killer called Graze on? I've done some research on it and have found or haven't found that there is no ill effect on horses, that brand of weed killer was recommended because its one that is apparently safe for animals, but I'm still quit concerned what signs should I be watching for as to a reaction?

6. 4kids

4kids Senior Member+

We have switched kinds that is supposidly safe to have the horses on right after we spray but to be on the safe side we are leaving horses off the pasture for a day or two to be safe.

7. imjustjoking22

imjustjoking22 Senior Member+

It definitely depends on the brand :)

My horse has grazed on stuff sprayed with RoundUp, which is safe for horses, with no problems.

8. LifeIsGrand

LifeIsGrand Senior Member+

I don't like to spray any kind of weed killer/bug killer near horses pastures because it can get soaked up by the grass and the horses eat it and as far as I know, its not good.

9. loulou123

loulou123 Senior Member+

eeeekk!! I'm really worried about my guy, I just have to watch him really close and monitor any kind of changes. :(

10. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member+

Graz-on (sp) is sprayed in hay fields to kill weeds. It is not recommended to use that manure from the horse that has eaten hay sprayed with Grazon on flower beds because it will kill the flowers.