Featured what do you think of grown men who wear class rings...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sorrell, Aug 24, 2007.

1. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

Reading another thread made me think. What comes to mind when you see a grown man... say 30s and above, wearing his class ring or for that matter, a large signet ring?
    My feelings are generally negative and I associate it with braggarts, people who live in the past, want to show off their wealth/affiliation/status, etc.
    If you are older, do you still wear a class ring/honors pin/fraternity/sorrority pin, etc?
    I have a couple of honors pins, but don't wear them (would like to, but think that would be showing off too much so they just sit in a box).
    So what is your opinion?

2. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member+

You wouldn't be talking 'bout my lil ol' thread now would you? *blink blink* :p

Seriously, I feel the same way about grown men who still wear their class rings. It's always the ones you picture sidling up to you in a bar saying stuff like "Why hello there pretty lady. Can I buy you a drink?" Or some guy who still has the 80s style haircut looking around to see if everybody's watching him *shudders*

3. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

I work with a lot of people who wear "class rings"

however, these are college rings. They do not show off wealth, status, etc.

They show off their hard earned work, current broke bank accounts from all the student loans they are STILL paying off....

Fraternity and sororities are not just "for college", i belong to a professional fraternity. I have their pin on my dussied up coat for when I go up to the college for stuff.

4. CrazyHorse

Now to me college rings are different. That signifies accomplishment and hard work, but I was talking about HS rings in my post which I have seen grown men wearing and it's always the kind of guy I described in my post.

5. Blistering Winds

Unfortunately, College vs HS rings look pretty darn similar.

6. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

How'd you guess:wink: . Yeah, our preacher wears his class ring, but he also wears a diamond stud earring. He's a nice guy, but it seems like my eyes are always drawn to the jewelry no matter how hard I try not to look!

7. Blistering Winds

Now, if you have a 30+ yr old wearing a HS ring and you are SURE it is a HS ring, well....Run, Run fast, Run even faster.... :rofl:

8. ches

ches Senior Member+

The whole concept of class rings is very foreign to me. We had matric ties (which we wore all year as part of our uniform) and a matric sweatshirt. The thought of spending $400 on a big gaudy ring seems like insanity to me.

I think that men who wear class rings (even college class rings) are vain. The only person I know who wears his class ring is a tall Dallas cowboy who wears his Merchant Marine Academy ring. I guess being a Merchant Marine Academy graduate is something to be proud of (maybe like wearing a Superbowl ring?), but wearing your high school ring to me is a bit sad: is that your greatest achievement in life?

Civil Engineers have an Order of the Engineer thing that they do where they take basically an engineer's version of a hippocratic oath and are given a plain stainless steel ring to wear on their pinky. The original rings were made with steal from a bridge that collapsed, and the intent was to wear it on your writing hand so that every time you drafted a plan, the ring would hit the board and make a sound to remind you to be vigilant and careful with your design. Personally I think that is a little fruity, but certainly less vain and ostentatious and with a little more meaning than a high school class ring.

9. Oh'When

Oh'When Senior Member+

My brother wears his engineer ring.... it like what ches described

10. CrazyHorse

BW That's very true. I went out with a guy who wore a very nice college ring and I just asked him outright if that was a college ring or HS ring. Thank goodness he liked me because I think I offended him :blushing: I didn't mean to, I just couldn't tell.