What do you miss doing with horses? (if anything)

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by bellalou, Jul 10, 2017.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I miss foxhunting. I miss jumping but especially when foxhunting (or rather riding to hounds - I always rode with a drag hunt).

I love the exhilaration of pounding along with a field of other riders, taking obstacles, watching the hounds work, smelling the crisp air. I've never been into showing much - my idea of competition is more personal. I like to work on beating my own best performance and there can be so much negative energy at shows that it can be depressing. Hunting was such fun because you're with a bunch of like-minded people all riding like lunatics through hill and dale and having a blast doing it.

I don't really have a suitable horse right now. Bella would lose her little pea-brain on a hunt field and while I think Sparky would be a solid enough little hunter, he's not a jumper so we'd be riding with a non-jumping field which honestly takes a lot of the fun away. Plus I can't afford it - hunting is not cheap.

But I miss it a ton. Many fond memories of hunts past.

Below - hunt in Marlboro Vt.

blueskyhunt.JPG

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Oh my...

I miss the smells of the barn, sawdust, hay, horse clean tack, farrier burning shoes on, I would give a lot to be able to enjoy all that again.

I miss being young and stupid, and being able to vault on ponies and gallop in Gymkhana Races.

I miss jumping, I did enjoy it.

Charliemyheart and Nu5ha like this.
  3. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

I miss proper trail riding, we have endless forests and open fields in Moscow to trail ride and I really miss it. I miss letting my horses enjoy being outside with real proper grass (though I think lack of that for fatso is what's keeping him from being 2000 lbs), I miss letting them be horses and being outside for longer than a couple of hours. I miss galloping around in snow. I also miss taking my pony out into the desert, he loved it. Miss jumping him very much I actually miss riding him a lot.

Last jump we did

IMG_2800.PNG

4. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

I miss feeling untouchable, I miss not having to prove to others that they shouldn't place there of blindness on me.
    I miss being able to just trail ride and get lost. To alone with my horse. I don't care they claim it's dangerous for me due to the trees I will trail ride alone again. Have jokingly thought of after college before starting a job trail riding through a few states alone to prove them wrong.

Nu5ha and bellalou like this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I admire your determination to keep doing what you do. It sounds like many of the people around you are far more blind than you are.

SparkleDust and Charliemyheart like this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

You will have to develop some form of proximity sensor that you can wear when you ride, gives you quiet audible warnings of hazards ahead...

7. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

How my vision is I can easily have a few feet warning (the top of my visual field is better than my lower).
    Besides that those small clip on radar things are already out there. Just have to figure out a way to attach it to a helmet or hat.

mooselady likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I miss the ability to do all the hard work. The grooming, rubdowns and care. I actually loved that. I know some people hate it. I don't think I was ever happier though than after a workout, thorough grooming and giving a good rubdown, just that sort of satisfaction. I can't really explain it, but it's sure a good feeling.

9. VanityVin

VanityVin Registered

I'm on a small hiatus but I miss being able to ride often. I'll be able to given time, but right now it's been a few months and it's eating me up on the inside. Other than that, I miss grooming the lesson horses I rode. I can ride during college because they have a club, it's just after the fact. I don't want another hiatus since it's possibly my last year, but one can't see the future, right?

bellalou likes this.
  10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I enjoy that part too, and yeah sometimes more than the riding. Just being with them, seeing that they're well cared for. It's very satisfying.

In 4H when I was a kid, we didn't give our horses baths - we groomed them clean. When we went to our summer week-long clinic, they were inspected every day after all the riding and they needed to be squeaky clean. And they were. You can groom a horse clean. And I enjoyed it. I still do it sometimes just for the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction of a good job well done.