What Do You Love (and Hate) Most About Your Chosen Breed?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Breezah, Sep 27, 2016.

1. equicrzy

equicrzy Senior Member

A lot of people seem to not like Friesians, but I love mine.

She could maybe be a bit shorter, or, all around smaller, when it comes to grooming, but......what are ya gonna do.

manesntails likes this.
  2. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

I LOVE Standardbreds, and they bring a lot to the table:
    Versatility, I've yet to find a job that a STB can't do, from Western events, annoying cows, jumping, can go gaited, driving, endurance/distance riding, and just being very intelligent, people oriented horses.

What do I dislike? Nothing about the breed but I am always disappointed and yes, angry at time at the sheer bias against this breed by people. If I hear "He's pretty for a Standardbred" one more effing time I will lose my mind (I've pointed out that it is a very backhanded compliment, like saying "Hey you are pretty....for your age") I've had judges tell me they would never pin a Standardbred, I've had riders say they would never ride a STB, and trainers who said they would never have one in the barn.

This is a great breed who needs more people to take a chance on them, they are just an incredible breed.

pamnbam likes this.
  3. Kiesha

Kiesha Full Member

Amen! I love love love my AQHA boy!!

4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

5. XolosAndFjords

XolosAndFjords Full Member

I feel like I can't comment on my breed since my guy is so not your typical Fjord. He is not as heavy as a lot of the drafty Fjords you see, but he still has that lovely beefiness to him that says small draft. Personally, I think he is lovely, but he is not what most people look for in a Fjord. He is exactly what I was hoping to find. Admittedly, he is out of shape and chubby since I have been dealing with an old injury that decided to flare up not long after I got him, but he's only got a couple of months of vacation left before his butt's going to start getting worked like it should have been all along!

Anyhow, my favorite part of him specifically is that he has so much go. He's like riding a little, hefty warmblood. He is game for anything and, when he can focus (something he's working on), he puts his whole heart into whatever I ask of him. My favorite parts of the breed are the way they look (I am a total sucker for beefcake horses with thick legs and necks to match as well as the fact that they are adorable), their Norwegian history, and their hardiness. I love his thick winter coat because I don't have to deal with blankets I know his cheeky butt would ruin. He's the only one, clipped or not, who doesn't need a blanket and I love the peace of mind I get knowing that he's not too hot or too cold because he's blanketed or not. I love that he requires minimal care. All of the fussing and regular grooming he gets is more because he enjoys the attention and allows me to check him over rather than because he needs any kind of special care. He's a very... basic horse. I also adore his personality. While he may have the work ethic of an Arabian, he does have the very people oriented personality of the Fjord. He's a very curious thing and takes a very great interest in people. He adores kids. I really love just about everything about him and the breed, even if he is a little unusual for a Fjord. He's going to make a great little eventer. He'll never be some eventing superstar, but he's got a fabulous dressage background and the enthusiasm for the rest. For what I have the interest in doing and can afford to compete in, he is going to be the perfect horse for me. And, bonus... my husband is absolutely smitten.

My least favorite parts of the breed are few. 1) The same, thick winter coat I love so much. While I love that it keeps him warm in our cold winters, it also means we have to deal with challenges the Paints and Quarter Horses do not. It hasn't been an issue lately since he hasn't been worked, but the clipping is going to be a pain in the rump next winter. In spring, breeds like Fjords and Icelandics tend to suffer from "summer eczema". Or, at least that's what it used to be called. He came from the side of the state where their winters are harsher than ours, but he seems to be acclimating. 2) The ease of keeping. He is no special snowflake when it comes to Fjords' tendency to get chunk just by looking at food. My first mare (TB) was a Nervous Nellie because of her last home and was a VERY hard keeper, so I prefer a horse like my gelding, but it comes with its own challenges. He's definitely a pig. 3)This one is specific to him. His nickname is Pigpen because he is happiest when he is absolutely filthy. Payback from my years of owning the aforementioned mare who was only happy when her coat was pristine. She did not roll when wet and she did not make a mess of her run. If you got her dirty, she would act like you offended her ancestors. 4) FROZEN. Kids and some adults see him and will just yell "Frozen horse!" at us. Luckily, these kinds of things don't phase him, even when kids run up to him, but I didn't realize how much that movie would impact my horse ownership. I discovered they were in the movie during my search for my gelding and kids see him and immediately gravitate toward him. It helps that he's such a love bug who looks like a stuffed animal. 5) The endless questions. What kind of horse is that? Did you dye his mane? Does it stand up like that by itself? I've even gotten "Is that a zorse?" I answer them because people are genuinely interested and I'm used to it after owning a Xoloitzcuintli (large, hairless dog) for 4 years and being unable to make it 10 feet in public without being asked the same list of questions over and over again, but that's not to say I never get tired of it. Unless I just don't have the time, I do always try to take the time to answer those who are genuinely interested in the horse/dog.

PureTrouble likes this.
  6. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

Xolo, you would die seeing my friends accidental xolo/shetland sheepdog cross. :rofl: You might actually be able to appreciate the puppies. :rofl:

The most hilarious accident I've ever seen, though I do feel for her trying to find homes for half naked pups lol.

mooselady likes this.
  7. XolosAndFjords

XolosAndFjords Full Member

Caoimhe, not gonna lie... My curiosity is totally piqued! It would be so interesting to see how they matured.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017