What Do You Love (and Hate) Most About Your Chosen Breed?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Breezah, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Acornicus

Acornicus Senior Member

Resurrecting this thread because it's a really good concept! We all love to talk about what we love about our favourite breeds... And maybe neglect to mention some of the things that make them 'not suitable for everyone' LOL

I love the minds on clyde crosses. They are well known in NZ for being exceptionally sensible horses and are used extensively as hunting mounts, mustering horses and as amatuer level sporthorses or beginner adult mounts. Every one that I have ridden bar one was very sensible and unflappable and when they come out right, they are darn handsome animals too. For example my most recent boy Blue (admittedly biased as anything).
    I also love me some arab crosses! As a few others have said, they are super clever, athletic and curious animals. Plus no one can argue with those looks! I personally love how opinionated and heart-on-the-sleeve they are, it makes them very easy to read (if you can react quickly lol)

What I don't like:
    When the clydie X comes out wrong... Which happens more often than many would like to admit... They look like some godawful frankenhorse where someone literally glued a draft back half on another horse's front :rofl: Case in point my Mum's lovely girl Ivy who seems to have inherited her clydie dad's front end, standy mum's back half and the ears from a donk? Personality wise she's a 10 but she's not winning any beauty contests, her paces leave a lot to be desired if you're looking for a comfortable ride :p in fact I have never ridden a worse jackhammer trot and a walk that feels like a pace LOL. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to cross two driving breeds to get a riding horse I don't know, she is from a cattle station (cattle brands on both shoulders) so maybe it was just the mares they could get cheaply.

And to back up the others arab derivatives IME are definitely the divas of the horse world. They know when you aren't being fair and the ones I've ridden could be politely described as 'spunky' (which I loved but it's not for everyone lol). My favourite ever pony mare was an arab/welsh B cross and threw heavily to the arab, I still think I got along so well with her as a teen because we were both such :cowdance:s :rofl:

Attached Files:

2. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

As with what others have said about the Quarter Horse, I love pretty much everything about them. The only thing I sigh about is my gelding can, if the need strikes him, open pretty much most locks with his lips, so all our gates have a chain and a double sided lock so he can't open those. But he was one hell of a trail and all around riding horse, there was nothing he wouldn't do for me and kept me safe on all the trails we went on. Same with his sister, she has such a gentle manner about her.

Percherons are my other love...there is nothing they won't do for you when you gain and win their trust. They will give their all to please, and seem to know when young one's are around them. The only thing I have seen that to me, makes them more endearing is they can be stubborn if they are mistreated or mishandled. Not everyone understands them, though there are those who claim they do....they will always have a very special place in my heart.

3. Riosdad

Riosdad Full Member

Love my Arabs
    I like their size. Compact, not too tall to mount from the ground and very agile
    Hard feet and usually good tight legs
    Intelligent, lean something new with very little training, sometimes 10 minutes is all it takes
    If the rider is brave so are they. They pick up on their rider
    Short backed, not long and sway back
    Best of all their endurance. Nothing can outrun them over distance
    Even in the barn a fresh off the track thoroughbred can't outrun him in the second hour of a run
    They can jump surprisingly high for their size
    Great recovery after a hard workout.
    Cleaner then most breed in a stall. Their poop is small dry and usually in a corner
    No cow patties and all over the place
    The only thing I might like is introducing a little Standarbred blood to give them more trotting speed
    From my point I want a horse that covers ground, can run the legs off nearly anything else and good looks at the same time
    They can recover from a good hard run in a few hundred feet of walking
    I can pick a weakness on most breeds that would prevent me from owning them

Down side??????

4. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

I love Arabians, but with my little mare, I found my heart horse- and she is NOT an Arabian!

She is the exact polar opposite- she is a Norwegian Fjord/Morgan cross. Who du thunk?

What's awesome about Fjords:
    Temperment- sweet, responsive, "born trained" attitude, no drama and SMART
    Built like a brick wall-solid legs and cast iron feet
    Strong, incredible endurance and work ethic- it would be so easy to overwork her, because she LOVES to work
    GREAT with kids, dogs, disabled riders, crowds, bicyclists, firetrucks.... you name it
    Flashy looks, attractive coloring, and no white hair to make me crazy.
    Most beautiful big brown eyes with "eyeliner" and long eyelashes- seriously, they look like they just had their makeup done!
    Versatile- we ride English, Western, trail, jump, dressage, we do obstacle courses, barrels, poles, and then we dress her up for little girls to play with- she loves whatever she gets to do
    Easy keeper-she does fine on just pasture grass in the summer- she gets hay and then we have to ride for MILES every day to keep her slim
    Short- easy to mount from the ground, no giraffe neck on this one!
    Winter coat like a yak- no need to blanket in most weather

Cons
    I admit, I wish she was a little more.... glamorous looking. All these TALL gorgeous horses go prancing by, and I just wish we didn't look rather like the clown in the mini car with his big dog. She is freaking cute, but not classy looking.
    Like I said, she's short- I wouldn't object to 1/2" more so she could be considered a horse
    That thick neck? Yeah.... she braces that and pulls and you know why they use these horses for plowing. It makes her a little heavy on the forehand, so you have to be a thoughtful rider
    Saddle fitting- good luck- there's a reason I call her my favorite couch
    That winter coat when it sheds gets EVERYWHERE
    Easy keeper- man, do we have to watch what she eats- all her hay gets small hole bagged to slow her down- she gets about 25 lbs a day in the winter, and she can eat that in 20 minutes if it's not bagged. She's an OINKER.

Would I recommend a Fjord to other people? Absolutely. I don't know that I would go back to an Arabian, even though Arabians are my first love.

Fjords are just such fun and easy going horses, I'd say, if you have a chance to ride one, go for it!

Sky Cloud and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. luckydragon

luckydragon Senior Member

My breed of choice is obviously the TB. I love everything about them. They are athletic, brave horses that always try hard. They are incredibly versatile and love working. I like how forward they are and sensitive to aids. All of the ones I've ridden/been around are willing when asked right. You definitely can't fight with them, or try to force them. I like the jumping ability that a lot of TBs have.

The only thing I would change about them, is how hard of keepers they can be. Mine are all big and eat a lot. Some of them don't have the best of feet. You just have to find the lines that tend to have better feet.

My second favorite breed is the Andalusian (and Lusitano since they are so similar). I love their intelligence, versatility, and athletic ability. They have excellent feet, especially compared to TBs. The few things I don't like as much, they tend to be shorter, and don't have the ground covering stride (gallop stride like a TB). Some of the Andalusians (more than the Lusitanos) have a shorter hip in comparison to a big shoulder/neck.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how my TB/Andalusian gelding does as he grows up (just coming 3). So far he has the best of both breeds. :)

Sky Cloud, pamnbam and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Acornicus

Acornicus Senior Member

Um excuse me @Suzanneszoo, it's against the law to spend that much time describing your beautiful fjord without posting a picture as well :wink:

7. Mofoxtrotter

Mofoxtrotter Senior Member

I love my Missouri foxtrotter girl! Foxtrotter a are beautiful and versatile. I feel like they are a combination of the best qualities from gaited and non-gaited breeds. They are sturdy and versatile like a quarter horse yet smooth and smart like a gaited horse.

The one thing I don't like is what people think about them. I also don't like how their gaits can make it complicated to spot slight lameness.

Alsosusieq2 and Sky Cloud like this.
  8. starrunner

starrunner Senior Member

I love how smart, sound, and versatile my Arabians and Arabians in general are.

I have ridden everything from saddleseat Arabians to reining ones, worked cattle, and jumped others. One of our best therapeutic horses in an Arabian. Incredibly sound and ready to adjust to any level rider.

Downside: They aren't the horse for everyone. You need to handle them in a way that makes sense. I hate people that buy them and never handle them as most are quite people oriented. I also am not a fan of some of the extreme breeding trends. I appreciate classy horses, but I am a whole picture type of person.

9. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

@Acornicus- Here you go, one picture of my Fjord mare with one of her favorite people in the entire world.

freyda and astrid.jpg

10. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Love my Morgan Horse .The versatility of the breed combined with beauty,brains and kindness.
    Nothing bad to say about them

Alsosusieq2 likes this.