What Do You Love (and Hate) Most About Your Chosen Breed?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Breezah, Sep 27, 2016.

1. strideatatime

strideatatime Registered

I love this thread. You see all the people highly biased with their breeds and think they are 100% perfect, and then the people who see more faults but love the breed anyway. xD

What I love about Thoroughbreds;
    They have a lot of heart. Especially the ones off the track. They take TONS of patience, but it is never wasted time. Most of them have killer personalities. They can do everything. Barrels, dressage, eventing, etc. You see them everywhere.

Here we go, what I DON'T like about them;
    The feet! Oh my gosh.
    Some people might say it takes a certain type of rider and patience, and people just are judging incorrectly BUT THE NUTS ONES DO EXIST. I have been around at least 50 different Thoroughbreds, and there are always the few that you dread riding because the leaf floating across the arena is suddenly 2012 (Except, you know. Real) all over again and the world is ending and now we are bolting and we "accidentally" ran straight into the panel. Riiigght. Or, suddenly on the trail we decide we are worked up for who knows what reason and we must bolt and crow hop and do the sideways crow hops and and and. THEY DO EXIST. Of course I have had ridden my fair share of horses like this, and some did grow out of it. (Not trying to be biased here). Okay, I hate to downsize this, but athleticism. Because we can do a whole ride of cross cantering not getting a single stride of a normal canter. Also goes for counter canter. Or capriolles. Or majorsidewaysquicklyspooks. Whatever.

I love the breed. They are an acquired taste, like Arabians. You can't bully them, ever. It either makes them fall to pieces and turns them into a super depressed horse with no purpose in life, or teaches you never ever ever to bully a horse, because you will eat dirt within seconds. They are great for taking out on a gallop. If you can stop them. Although is all measures up to training. Training always plays a big part. I have seen the schoolmaster, bombproof, been there done that Thoroughbreds. And they are the examples of everything they can be.

2. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

I've seen "super depressed horse with no life" syndrome in all the hotter breeds who have been bullied / let sit. They like having a job, but they don't like unfair management practices.

I can't blame 'em. :)

3. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

And then you get a mare like mine... if you try to bully her, she loses all forward motion. Her feet grow roots and she'll stand there for hours. I tried waiting her out once, since I couldn't make her feet move at all. 4 hours later, and she proved she was more stubborn than I was patient. One of my friends rode her once and is used to horses that need constant reassurance and leg to move. I guess Vanna took offense to the squeezing and the clucking, reached around and nipped my friend's toe. Once my friend's legs were calm, Vanna stepped out and that was it. She works hard, but only if you ask her politely and properly. If you try to force her to do something, she plants her feet and that's it. There is no other learning happening in that moment, so I have to revert back to something she knows, just to end on a good note. I've never seen her depressed, but I'm quite familiar with the "mare glare"... and when it's focused on me, I know I've done something unforgivable.

Alsosusieq2 and Friesiangirl like this.
  4. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Maddy won't do well with bullying herself. Even on the ground. She just looks at you like you're stupid. I've gotten a little flustered with her (she's a space invader...bad) and thrown my arms at her and chased her backwards and she'll take 3 steps and give me a look like "jeeze fine ok whatever...don't make a scene"

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Kappa

Kappa Senior Member

Quarter horse! Once he got to know me he's trusting, brave, strong, fast, smart, sweet, and gentle. He's also a gelding, and a pasture puff for the most part, so his mosey speed is MOSEY. I walk faster than him. I prefer a gaited ****-n-get-it speed. So I got one of those too, but don't consider it my breed.

Sky Cloud and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

Oh my gosh. Please don't even get me started. If, for whatever reason, my horse decides she needs to put her head down, I cannot even reach the top of her head on my own. Owning a Saddlebred has made me very inventive of new "head down" cues....

Friesiangirl likes this.
  7. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

Trying to figure out what word was censored up there...but I think it means a fast horse?

Alsosusieq2, Kappa and Friesiangirl like this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yup. And that's something I really love about them. It makes me a better horseperson because I have to do it right and have the finesse to manage them.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I am a mini horse person. I have always loved the breed, but I have massive issues with many mini breeders and how the breed has been managed.

I am not opposed to breeding grade horses you can ride (provided both parents are quality). However, I am massively opposed to breeding grade minis. And I see it constantly. Someone posts a ghastly dumpy mini and asks for a stud to breed her to, "papers don't matter." Or someone is selling trillions of badly conformed mini foals that really have no future. I've even seen people breeding an AMHA and AMHR mini together, so both parents are registered, but foal can't be. And when I ask WHY I get "it's just a pet!" as a response. Ugh. If you want a pet there's tons of grade minis out there, if yo are going to create a new mini it better be quality!

I hate it when people ignore conformation because it's a mini. A mini is supposed to have the same conformation as a horse, they aren't meant to look like deformed, dumpy ponies.

It drives me insane when people think dwarves are cute. There's nothing cute about deformities. It drives me even more insane when people knowingly breed dwarves or without knowing their mini's carrier status.

I also hate seeing people put toddlers on minis and I hate people who allow their minis to be monsters because they're tiny and cute. My minis aren't allowed to do anything to me I wouldn't allow a clydedale to do.

The breed is great, but it makes me sad it's so hard to find a quality one because dwarves and terribly conformed ones have been "puppy milled" so hard.

Alsosusieq2 and TheSnowLeopard like this.
  10. Kappa

Kappa Senior Member

Yeah, basically to act like you have things to do and somewhere to get to. LOL

pamnbam likes this.