What Do You Love (and Hate) Most About Your Chosen Breed?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Breezah, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

You hear it preached to beginners all the time: breed and color do not matter when picking out a first horse. A horse that has the experience, patience, and disposition suited to teaching new riders is what's important in those early stages of learning.

But as we get more advanced in our riding, many of us split off and begin to specialize in different disciplines and breeds. Some of us own many breeds throughout our lifetime, and some of us settle down with just one.

I've solely been riding Saddlebreds for quite a few months now and love, love, LOVE the 'bouncy' rhythm of their gaits, particularly in the walk and jog. They are built and bred to have so much natural vertical motion that you always feel like you are on top of a show horse who loves to dance, even if they are only going out on the trail as slow as a turtle. I love how absolutely bold, point-and-shoot they are and how you see the whole world over their neck and between their ears. :heartbeat:

I don't love how sassy some can be on the ground. They tend to be very work-oriented horses that you just jump on and WHOOP TROT down the road with, and often don't really like to play your little horsemanship games. They are known as being one of the easiest breeds to start under saddle with consistently due to this, but it also makes them quite quirky. Some can be difficult to longe, they generally hate sitting still, they love to play (particularly with their bits...), and can be outright divas. But put a saddle on them and they are happy to work for you.

What made YOU fall in love with your chosen breed? What aspects do you dislike, but gosh darnnit you love the breed anyway?

2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

My love is Quarter Horses and honestly.....there's nothing I dislike about them!

3. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Hubby and I have gone gaited, first because we ran across 2 TWHs that needed to be rescued and we had the room, but now we're addicted to the glideride, their friendly personalities, and how forgiving they are of the past abuse they endured. We also have 2 rescued minis and their silly antic just keep us laughing along with their big attitudes.

The only downside to both the TWHs and the minis is they have declared themselves the official helpers so tend to be underfoot inspecting and playing with everything when we work around the barn and pasture!

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I love that mules are so smart.
    I hate that mules are so smart.

5. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHA oh my god this made my day :rofl:

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I'm very much a TB person and I honestly can't think of anything I don't like. I love the work ethic, I love the drive and the "forward." I love the energy and the intelligence. I love the versatility.

Even the things people often say they don't like, I do. I love the sensitivity. I love the saucy attitude. All those things speak to intelligence to me and I like a horse that thinks. I like the fact that I have to work to keep my horse engaged - it makes me a better horseperson. I like the fact that I can't just bully her - I have to be the right combination of firm but fair.

7. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

I have the same sort of sentiment towards Arabians, for the same reasons. Lots of people don't like them, but I think their attitudes are a reflection of their intelligence. You just have to be brave enough to play with fire! I still ride my old Arabian mare, whom I sold to a friend who keeps her at the same barn I do, and still enjoy every ride. It's very rewarding to ride "difficult" or sensitive horses. They certainly have a lot to teach.

8. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Lol I'm similar to the post about mules.
    I have my Quarter Pony.
    Love the quarter.
    Hate the pony'ness.

Alsosusieq2 and D_BaldStockings like this.
  9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I'm going to have a TB mule some day. Can you imagine?

I already have an ArabX mule. He's a pistol, just turned 2 in July. I named him Havoc and he is living up to that. I will be getting him in harness this spring, he desperately needs gelding and a job!

Alsosusieq2, Nu5ha and Breezah like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

If I had to pick a favoritebreed it would be TB. I learned to ride on a couple of OTTB and they were gentle, kind, and very willing.
    I love my mystery girl and foal, but if I set out to buy a horse, it will be another OTTB.

luckydragon and D_BaldStockings like this.