What do you let your horse get away with?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by RelaxMax, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Depending on the horse I let quite a lot slide, once they learn what is allowed and what isn't they usually respect that. Head rubbing doesn't bother me nor does pulling faces and licking can be hilarious. Injured horses can bite me though none have, they'll lick me then bite the fence or something.

RelaxMax likes this.
  2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Not much in general. I try not to let Blossom get away with anything, she will escalate very quickly if not corrected about small stuff. Freckles gets away with a lot. A lot! He is more than just my husband's mule and he knows it. If a mule could be solid gold, he would be. He does what we ask of him without hesitation most of the time and I never worry he will deliberately hurt a person. For that, I let him rub his head on me all he wants to. He is the only animal in my herd I allow that privilege. It is annoying and sometimes painful but I brace up and let him. He loves to rub his face on my back, just loves it. He is polite about asking and stops if I don't Invite him to continue so maybe it's not as bad as it sounds......

Yes it is, it is bad.

GONE ROPING and RelaxMax like this.
  3. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

I used to let a horse (if anyone remembers Miracle, it was him) rub his face on me until he clocked me in the face--my nose has been slightly crooked ever since. Before that, he would often wear racing blinkers/blinders and when rubbing his face on me, got the corner of the eye cup stuck on my breeches, lifting me up in the air, ripping them, and me coming down. Didn't even learn my lesson until he clocked me. Never again. I will get a brush and brush their face; initiating it myself.

I have only recently let Gertie graze while bridled and/or with me on her. Normally, it's a huge no-no. As long as she isn't rude, she will now be allowed to in our down-time at shows, between classes and I don't have a halter, or out on the trail. But when working, absolutely not.

Otherwise, technically, the only thing she gets away with is pawing like a psycho in the trailer. She never used to do that until last year and I CAN NOT get her to stop (as I'm usually by myself). It's infuriating.

RelaxMax likes this.
  4. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

I have a serious dislike for groundwork so I'd say ground manners are my downfall in general.
    And I'll admit to being a hypocrite about it. Mine can get away with it but if I'm handling someone else horse I'll get after them. Lol

RelaxMax likes this.
  5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Raps got to do a facerub, but only on my back, or thigh. I did not want that cinderblock of an araby head coming up at my face, possibly an aversion from getting hit with a rock as a teen. Other horses I will also let slide if they have an itch that can be solved on back or bluejeans, within reason. If they start shoving hard enough to hurt, or risk knocking over me or a child, party/ privilege is over.

RelaxMax likes this.
  6. BossMare16

BossMare16 Senior Member

Tango used to rub her face on me, now I get a brush and let her rub her head all over it. It's adorable, and I think the brush scratches better than my clothes. Diva can get away with almost anything that shows affection toward me, if she rests her nose onto my shoulder and asks for chin scratches then I'll let her. She's taking a long time to get cuddly, if she ever will... so anything relatively harmless and cute goes. Tango also makes some rude faces that I'm usually okay with, I'd say after 3 years of getting after her for it and it not stopping- I might as well just let it slide as long as she does what I'm asking.

RelaxMax likes this.
  7. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Screenshot_2017-04-06-14-41-24.png

Minis aren't allowed to lick, they'll nibble once they get to fingers. But gelding never nibbles. Sometimes he'll also half close his eyes and drop his willy.

AmyK, foxtrot and RelaxMax like this.
  8. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Nothing.
    I don't want my horse to hurt me or anyone else.

RelaxMax likes this.
  9. trailcreekranch

trailcreekranch Full Member

When I look back over the years of trying to learn this whole "equine" stuff, I know I used to let my horses get away with way too much. Now I realize that the more I learn, the less they are allowed to get away with. I think one of the hardest lessons for me was understanding that I am always teaching my horse, every moment! Being consistent means not letting them get away with much. Since I have finally stuck with this idea, we have lots less problems! I'm sure there are more learning curves ahead!

10. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Both of my minis "beg" by pawing at the air wildly with one front leg. They do this when they want treats, when they want a gate open, when they want dinner, etc. I have no idea why, I certainly didn't train it, they have the same dam/same breeder and came this way. Who knows! It is technically obnoxious and rude but they look so stinking adorable doing it that I let them paw away. I don't give into their demands though. They get food when I want to give it... but man they look cute. "But pleeeeeeeeeeease!"

I also have no problem with letting horses enter my space when they want to, AS LONG AS they are polite about it. The second there is pushing, nipping, crowding, whatever, I back them off. But if the horse just moseys up and hangs around near me I'm quite happy.

RelaxMax likes this.