1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

What do you let your horse get away with?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by RelaxMax, Apr 6, 2017.

1. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

A lot of us stress constant manners and eliminating behavioral issues on the fly. But I also know we're human and find some things "endearing".

What do you let your horse get away with that you "shouldn't"?

2. CoopersPprScpr

CoopersPprScpr Senior Member

Ha, my old man gets away with murder now. He had some neurological issues and I was afraid he'd fall down if I got after him, so now he makes faces, gets grumpy with blanketing, etc; But I know him so well, and know he'll never go beyond faces, so he gets away with it.

gaitedboomer and RelaxMax like this.
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Quest chews my sweatshirt when he is bored. I should not let him. I do.
    This will literally bite me in the butt someday.

4. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. My horses, and horses in general, will take a mile if you give an inch and I'm not interested in going backwards to train the bad out of 'em.

PaintedRocket and RelaxMax like this.
  5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Grazing while riding. It is an important activity for an endurance horse so I want him to be able to know it's okay.

BossMare16 and equinitis like this.
  6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Nothing....like MzCarol said....

RelaxMax likes this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Walking out of the gate before I halter. I sometimes let B do that. She just goes to her tie post and if I halter first she's good and doesn't rush or push.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Drinking warm water from the stainless steel bucket.

It's better water, and they'll die, positively die, if you don't give them some of that water.

In general, I'm not fussy about details, but I do insist on the important things. For example, horsey is welcome to have a fit at meal time, he can do whatever he wants on his own by himself in the stall, but has to get out of my way when I walk in and put the feed in the feed tub.

I was over at my friend's and she walked by her paddock - one of her horses was out in the middle of the paddock(big paddock, nowhere near her), standing there with one hind leg resting, and put his ears back a little at one of her other horses. She started shrieking, 'He's disrespecting me!' and ran and got a whip and chased the horse around the paddock for a good 30 minutes.

The horse looked over at me as if to say, 'Do you have any idea what this is about?'

I did my best to telepathically say, 'Sorry, dude, I got no idear'.

RelaxMax likes this.
  9. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Snacking on the trail. I don't care if my horse wants to grab a bite on the trail. We go on long rides. I pack snacks for myself so I can't really reprimand him for eating. Now, if he throws his head down from grass and almost trips over his face for a bite, I push him forward.

RelaxMax likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh, LOL. I used to get a lot of comments for letting my dressage horse eat grass while he was waiting to go in the ring at a show. LOL. Here comes old Green Mouth. Thing is though, I never had any trouble waiting if the schedule was running a little late. And he was a real hard case, too so it was a good plan to keep him happy.

RelaxMax likes this.